Re: License / CPU utilization question

Hi Bob,

Just to confirm what has already been said, BizTalk Server Ent. Edition will
not impose any CPU utilization restriction. Also for the Hyperthreading
question, here is an extract of the BizTalk Performance blog that should give
you the answer you are looking for:
For a Hyper-threaded server:

If you have a hyper-threaded server, then the number of processors perceived
by the BizTalk send host doubles the actual number of processors. So if you
had a dual processor BizTalk server and if we assume that the default value
for the maximum number of message instances processed at once is 200 (so,
”HighWatermark” value is equal to 200), then the BizTalk process hosting the
Send Host will load a maximum of:
[HighWatermark Value]*[NumberOfProcessors for a Hyper-threaded machine]
= 200 * [NumberOfProcessors * 2]
= 200 * [2 * 2]
= 200 * 4
= 800 messages in-memory

So, in a case where you have a dual processor hyper-threaded BizTalk server
with 2GigaBytes of RAM that’s under high stress, there is a possibility that
SendHost will get into an Out of Memory state. The process in this case will
be loading 800 messages (as calculated above) in memory. The following graph
shows an example of such a case where the memory usage of the send host
process grew very rapidly to 1.5 Giga Bytes in less than 15 minutes:

You can find the complete article on the BizTalk Performance Blog:
http://blogs.msdn.com/biztalkperformance/

I hope this answer your question.

Patrick Chouinard
BPI Analyst