Re: Can't Connect Computers

Yes, turn off ICS on the workstation. You want all Internet requests to
flow through the SBS server, not ICS. This is accomplished when you run
CEICW (Configure Email and Internet Connection Wizard) on the SBS server and
then join your workstations to the domain.

--
Merv Porter [SBS-MWP]
============================

"0013" <0013@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
The Routing and Remote Access service has been disabled the whole time.

I think ICS may be on right now. The checkbox is checked, but the
networking connection is not selected.

Do I want it on or off?

Thanks,

"Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]" wrote:

Did you ever have ICS turned on for this workstation? In the Services
MMC
(Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Services), is Routing and Remote
Access service started? If so, stop it and set it to manual or disabled,
then reboot.

--
Merv Porter [SBS-MWP]
============================

"0013" <0013@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I checked the IPEnableRouting key in the registry and it's set to zero.
I'm
not sure how else to turn of IP Routing. Any ideas?

"Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]" wrote:

Do you have SBS 2003 Standard or Premium?

UPNP... don't use it. Sometimes it works, soemtimes it doesn't. Set
up
the router manaully.

Single NIC... You only have a single NIC in the SBS server. To
deploy
the
Windows RRAS firewall, 2 NICs are required. The message is telling
you
that
you must rely on a firewall device to protect your network. Some
routers
are also firewall devices. So you have to evealuate the capabilities
of
your router to determine if this provides adequate protection for your
needs.

"Windows Firewall cannot run because another program"... you are
seeing
this
message because the built-in Windows firewall is disabled during SBS
2003
setup.

Also, on your workstation, from your "ipconfig /all", it appears that
you
have "IP routing enabled". Turn this off, then try ConnectComputer
again.

--
Merv Porter [SBS-MWP]
============================

"0013" <0013@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I'm not sure if it's relevant, but here is some more information.

When I run the internet connection wizard, it tells me that a
Universal
Plug
and Play router was detected on the network and asks if I want the
wizard
automatically configure the router. If I have it automatically
configure
the
router, then every external web page I browse to from the server
brings
up
the internal what do you want to do page and on the work station,
which
still
isn't on the network, I can't browse to any external pages, but I
still
get
the same error when I try connect computer. Then the only way for
me
be
able to access the internet again is to reset the router. When I
choose
that
I don't want it to automatically configure, I am able to access the
internet
after the wizard has finished.

Also, when I'm doing the manual configuration and I get to the
screen
that
asks for DNS, Local IP address of router and has the checkbox for
"My
server
uses a singe network connection for both internet access and the
local
network," if I uncheck the box it won't let me proceed telling me
that
"this connection type requires that two network adapters are
installed.
ONly one was detected on theis server. Either install a second
adapter
or
choose another connection type. To see what connection types this
wizard
supports, click More Information"

When I check that box and click next, I get a yes/no dialog saying:
"Only one network adapter is configured for use. As a result, the
firewall
provided with Small Business Server cannot be configured. Without a
firewall, your network is vulnerable to unathorized Internet access.
You
should either ensure that you are using an external firewall device
or
install a second network adapter.''
Do you want to view information about configuration settings for an
existing
firewall device?"

I also noticed that when I try to open the firewall from the control
panel,
I get a message saying "Windows Firewall cannot run because another
program
or service is running that might use the network address translation
component (Ipnat.sys)"

One other thing is that I am able to get to the http://companyweb/
intranet
site from the workstation, even though I haven't connected the
computer
and
I'm not in the domain.

As I said, I don't know if any of this is relevant, but I fugured
more
information is better.

Thanks,

"Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]" wrote:

On the workstation, disable the wireless and Bluetooth adapters.
The
try
ConnectComputer again.

If that doesn't work, now that you made DNS changes, please post
another
ipconfig /all for the server and for the workstation.

--
Merv Porter [SBS-MWP]
============================

"0013" <0013@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I specify the DNS in the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) properties
right?

I did everything below and I still get the same error
"Make sure that only one network adapter is enabled and that it
is
connected
to the Small Business Server."

"Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]" wrote:

DNS for the workstation(s) should point to the SBS server IP
address
(192.168.1.103). Also, you may experience less problems if you
turn
off
DHCP Server Service on the router and let the SBS server handle
DHCP
for
your LAN. After turning off DHCP on the router, re-run CEICW,
input
your
ISP's DNS nameservers IPs as "forwarders" on the appropriate
screen,
select
Enable Firewall, select the services you want, then finish
CEICW.
Then
reboot the workstations to get an IP address from the SBS
server.

Also, if the router has wireless capabilities, disable any
wireless
adapters
on the workstation(s) or turn this feature off on the router..

How to configure Internet access in Windows Small Business
Server
2003
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825763

--
Merv Porter [SBS-MWP]
============================

"0013" <0013@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
From Server:
Windows IP Configuration
Host Name....................: sbs2003
Primary Dns Suffix.........: cjs.local
Node Type ...................: Unknown
IP Routing Enabled.........: Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled.......: Yes
DNS Suffix Search List....: cjs.local

Ethernet adapter Server Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix.....:
Description.................................: Broadcom
NetXtreme
Gigabit
Ethernet
Physical Address.........................: 00-14-22-7A-CF-20
DHCP Enabled.............................: No
IP Address..................................: 192.168.1.103
Subnet Mask...............................: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway..........................: 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers...............................: 192.168.1.103
Primary WINS Server...................: 192.168.1.103

From workstation:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : CJSTABLET
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R)
PRO/Wireless
2915ABG
Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-12-F0-C7-D5-F5

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme
Gigabit
Ethernet
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0A-E4-35-AE-CF
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
128.103.200.101
128.103.1.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, September
14,
2006
7:29:55
PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, September
15,
2006
7:29:55 P

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth LAN
Access
Server
Driver
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0E-9B-DE-97-FF

"Cris Hanna [SBS-MVP]" wrote:

please run "IPconfig /all" without the quotes on your server
and
post
the
results here

--
Cris E. Hanna [SBS-MVP]
I can't connect any computers to the network. I have added
the
computer
via
the server and when I open a browser on that computer and
go
http://sbs2003/connectcomputer I get an error saying "Make
sure
that
only
one
network adapter is enabled and that it is connected to the
small
business
server."

If I re-run setup, it tells me that "This computer has only
one
network
adapter."
The computer has one network card and I have an external
wireless
router
where the source ethernet connection is plugged into. I
think
that
may
have
something to do with it. Also, I had a problem, where
after
the
initial
installation, I couldn't get to the external internet, only
the
SBS
intranet,