Re: Workstations won't share objects or folders when logged into SBS 2

Check the security and system event logs.

I think you may find an issue with authentication, i've seen a similar issue
with computer account issues. You may want to get the computers to rejoin
the domain.

"RJinIdaho" <RJinIdaho@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> I have a client who stumped me with this one. SBS Server 2003 with
> three workstations running XP Pro SP2 logging into the domain. Everything
> works fine, Internet, Exchange, all of that. The problem is, the
> workstations
> won't share printers or folders. For instance, if he publishes a
> printer to Active Directory, it publishes fine. But, no one can use
> it. Same with shared folders. He tells me it asks for authentication
> (username/password) when the other workstations try to access the
> objects. I have run through all the normal stuff half a dozen times,
> made sure he was publishing correctly, had him try setting up all the
> workstation users as Admins, everything I could think of, still gets
> the same problem. He took one of the workstations to a different
> building with an SBS box and it all worked fine on that one, so it's
> SOMETHING on the server, but what? He is trying to avoid a complete
> reinstall. Anyone out there ever heard of this? Thanks.
>

> Bob

  • Re: All advice welcome!
    ... enabling basic authentication seems to have solved ... I am a little confused as to why my existing two workstations appear to work ... the integrated windows option to work. ... Since this is a workgroup environment, there is no centralized account ...
  • Re: ssh with diskless machines
    ... >> environment without a secret. ... Giving the workstations host keys via ... If you don't use hostkey authentication, ... for the e\/1L black hat to spoof the remote server for r-commands. ...
    (SSH)
  • Re: Promted for username & password when accessing network folder
    ... logons or security / access permitions? ... workstations are joined to the same domain. ... was that some users can connect to the shared folders from certain machines, ... Are you running any login scripts or client policies on your DC? ...
  • Re: Unable to browse shared folders on DC
    ... surprising thing is that all the workstations running Vista is not ... affected and still able to access shared folders without any problems ... so, please post an unedited ipconfig /all from the DC, an XP and a Vista ... Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations ...
  • RE: adding workstation to domain
    ... The Add workstations to domain user right lets a user add as many as 10 ... Toward the end of a Windows installation, ... computer account in the AD Computers container, which you can view in the ... This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, ...