Re: SBS 4.5, Proxy Server 2 and W2K Client Running OE to access Hotmail

before removing the proxy client did you plug the words 'hotmail proxy' into
the search function at support.microsoft.com

this article came up as the first link
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;247335

but there are others

You suggest you 'deleted' the proxy client. Did you really just delete it or
did you uninstall it?

"Bruce E. Breeding" <bebl.it@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> (1) Okay, I've seen all of the "you really should upgrade SBS" comments
> on
> this list. That simply is not an option for me right now.
> (2) I am receiving the following error when trying to access hotmail via
> Outlook Express:
> "Unable to poll for new messages on your HTTP server. Account: 'Hotmail',
> Server: 'http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp', Protocol:
> HTTPMail, Server Response: 'Proxy authentication required', Port: 0,
> Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC37"
> (3) Undoubtedly this is a problem related to MS Proxy Client and / or
> Proxy
> Server. On the W2K client in question, I deleted the Client Proxy, and
> attempted to reload it via telling the server to add software to the user
> on
> this particular client machine. I am receiving an error that suggests the
> proxy client software is not compatible with the operating system, and I'm
> wondering if some of the new "critical fixes" I've downloaded have "fixed"
> my machine to make it incompatible with Client Proxy.
> (4) I have been able to restore internet access to the client machine in
> question without Client Proxy (which I did not even know I could do). I
> suspect I will have to live without the OE access to hotmail.
> (5) As a positive byproduct of fiddling with Proxy Server (and the three
> subcomponents) on the server, my XP client machines were finally able to
> overcome the proxy problem they had been having, and now have been able to
> download all the patches to XP.
> (6) I have been trying to fully understand Proxy Server since 1999, when
> purchased and installed the SBS. I've re-read the documentation I've
> found
> on microsoft.com, but it doesn't tell me enough. Is there a known
> reference
> book that tells me everything I want to know about Proxy Server 2.0
> (running
> under SBS 4.5)?
>
> Any other suggestions (besides upgrading the SBS)?
>
> Bruce

  • Re: SBS 4.5, Proxy Server 2 and W2K Client Running OE to access Hotmail
    ... Hotmail changed a while back and no longer allow direct access via HTTP ... Even if you turn off proxy ... Server Response: 'Access to Hotmail via Outlook and Outlook Express now ... On the W2K client in question, I deleted the Client Proxy, and ...
    (microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz)
  • Re: SBS 4.5, Proxy Server 2 and W2K Client Running OE to access Hotmail
    ... I am successfully sync-ing with hotmail via Outlook Express on one of my ... clients attached to my SBS 4.5. ... My current problem is that one client can do it, ... Even if you turn off proxy ...
    (microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz)
  • Re: SBS 4.5 Slow Internet (Odd Problem!)
    ... So other server services run fine when the internet is slow? ... at 10.0.0.2 port 80 (in this mode the web proxy service is used) ... winsock proxy (note this will only work if the client has the proxy client ...
    (microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz)
  • Re: Client Proxy and Proxy Server 2.0 under SBS 4.5
    ... Hotmail changed a while back and no longer allow direct access via HTTP ... Even if you turn off proxy ... Server Response: 'Access to Hotmail via Outlook and Outlook Express now ... > I have a problem related to MS Proxy Client and / or Proxy Server. ...
    (microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz)
  • Re: ISA Server Problems, please help
    ... The All access rule for SBS Internet ... Web Proxy and/or ... > To accommodate the linux SecureNAT clients you should create a new Client ... ISA Server denies the specified Uniform Resource Locator. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)