SBS 4.5, Proxy Server 2 and W2K Client Running OE to access Hotmail

(1) Okay, I've seen all of the "you really should upgrade SBS" comments on
this list. That simply is not an option for me right now.
(2) I am receiving the following error when trying to access hotmail via
Outlook Express:
"Unable to poll for new messages on your HTTP server. Account: 'Hotmail',
Server: 'http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp', Protocol:
HTTPMail, Server Response: 'Proxy authentication required', Port: 0,
Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC37"
(3) Undoubtedly this is a problem related to MS Proxy Client and / or Proxy
Server. On the W2K client in question, I deleted the Client Proxy, and
attempted to reload it via telling the server to add software to the user on
this particular client machine. I am receiving an error that suggests the
proxy client software is not compatible with the operating system, and I'm
wondering if some of the new "critical fixes" I've downloaded have "fixed"
my machine to make it incompatible with Client Proxy.
(4) I have been able to restore internet access to the client machine in
question without Client Proxy (which I did not even know I could do). I
suspect I will have to live without the OE access to hotmail.
(5) As a positive byproduct of fiddling with Proxy Server (and the three
subcomponents) on the server, my XP client machines were finally able to
overcome the proxy problem they had been having, and now have been able to
download all the patches to XP.
(6) I have been trying to fully understand Proxy Server since 1999, when I
purchased and installed the SBS. I've re-read the documentation I've found
on microsoft.com, but it doesn't tell me enough. Is there a known reference
book that tells me everything I want to know about Proxy Server 2.0 (running
under SBS 4.5)?

Any other suggestions (besides upgrading the SBS)?

Bruce

  • RE: Fax monitor incoming + outgoing calls?
    ... problem between the client computer and the SBS server. ... Client is using the internal IP address of the SBS server as the ... To the folder redirection GPO issue: ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: (Very) Slow browsing server shares - Net Work Monitor shows ca
    ... If this issue happen only when browse shared folders on SBS from one XP ... client computer, this will be a client side error. ... click to check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" ... Digitally sign communications (if server ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: No Client or Server Desktop Access Through RWW SBS 2003 SP2
    ... internal client Remote Desktop via RWW. ... Please perform the steps on the SBS and internal client computers: ... Click Remote tab, tick Enable Remote Desktop on this computer ... On the SBS server, click Start, click Run, type "regedit" (without the ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: trouble with shared fax service
    ... Thank you for posting in SBS newsgroup. ... install fax service on client computers. ... the SBS server or on the client workstation. ... and then choose 'Install' for the 'Fax Services' item. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Small Biz Design
    ... After we installed SBS 2003 successfully on the server box, the Client ... >When we setup SBS 2003 server using installation disks, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)