Redundency for SBS 2003

I am new to the systems administration arena and have been thrown into the
fire. We currently have 4 servers running Windows SBS2003, 2003 Server Std,
2000 Server, and 2003 Appliance Ed.(NAS). I need to allow for exchange and AD
redundency in case our SBS goes down. I read in a earlier post that i do not
need additional CALs:

You need no CALS for the Server 2003 box in this scenario, you need only a
license for W2K3 server. The W2K3 server will run just fine without the
SBS box. On most sites, a second server is of limited use when the SBS box
fails, as you loose DNS, Exchange, etc.

Mal Osborne
MCSE MVP Mensa

Can i set up my W2k3 server as a backup DNS and Exchange server and AD to
get replication data from the SBS? If so what are the licensing issues. Any
whitepapers would help as well. Thank you for your help. Please excuse my
ignorance trying to learn at warp speed.

  • Re: So why SBS?
    ... Public folders will be in the next version.. ... The sad part of most of us is that we haven't even tried or practiced a backup/restore and we freak out over a 'single" SBS box when we haven't even tried to restore it from a harddrive. ... Exchange seems to mix its words and titles, the global/generic use of POP and SMTP for just about every Exchange function is dumb, MailEnable understands post office protocol and simple mail transfer protocol in a "meaningfull" way. ... The standard profiles in Server are quite effective assuming you add new users to the correct account in the first place and your note running more than 1 file server. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Easy to use second 2000 Server for Exchange?
    ... Existing Exchange 2000 server - therefore have the CALs - so no new ones are ... Frank McCallister SBS MVP ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: So why SBS?
    ... Public folders will be in the next version.. ... If SBS isn't for you...that's fine. ... Mailenable is an example of a freeware or pay for extra's, mail server. ... It is infinitly simpler to configure than Exchange once installed. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Email for second domain
    ... The Microsoft Exchange MTA Stacks service is normally disabled on Exchange 2003 Servers on SBS 2003. ... You can safely ignore the MTA warning messages on the SBS 2003 server. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: Configuring exchange 2003 in SBS
    ... As I know, this is not related to per user mailbox, it refer to the mailbox ... store on the whole Exchange server. ... This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ... What minimum requirement if I want this server for a fileserver? ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)