Re: Upgrade to gigabyte NIC?

From: Henry Craven [SBS-MVP] (IUnknown_at_Dot.Nyet)
Date: 02/18/05

Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 06:42:52 +1100

Disable it prior, or the system will complain that you have the same IP
Assigned twice. to different devices.

I'd be interested to hear if you get the performance gain you expect.
and whether it's a value ROI.

Just an FYI ------

Fast Ethernet based communication systems behave poorly when sending and
receiving small packets of data. When using small packets,a temporal
bottleneck occurs in the communication, causing low throughputs. By
eliminating some of the possible causes for the bottleneck we were able
to focus on the CPU as the main hardware reason for it, as the tests
showed very high and increasing CPU loads when using decreasing size
packets. By thoroughly testing the possible reasons for that CPU load,
we came to a conclusion that the main cause of the bottleneck is the
well known Interrupt Livelock situation, where mass of incoming packets
cause a very large number of NIC interrupts to the CPU, causing the CPU
to use almost all of its resources for dealing with the interrupts and
doing hardly anything else. As the NICs hardware improves and
communication speed rises to 1GB and more, the pcibus becomes the main
reason for the communication bottleneck, but as that bottleneck got a
solution by using a larger MTU size (9KB instead of the regular 1.5KB),
the interrupt livelock problem still exists and again becomes the
bottleneck cause, resulting in a much desired solution that will handle
the livelock and decrease latency to minimum.

and from another article.

....The disappointing performance we saw with Gigabit Ethernet is
probably due to both Microsoft's TCP/IP stack and D-Link's more consumer
level hardware.
---------

Keep us posted.

--