Re: Correction: Questions about Package Wizard, 2003 runtime (was: Questions about Package Wizard, 2003 runtime)

From: Mike Wachal (mikewa_at_online.microsoft.com)
Date: 02/18/04

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2022 15:50:02 -0800

In an earlier message I claimed that the Package wizard doesn't support
installing files to any directory other than the application directory. I
was wrong in that and wanted to post the correction for everyone.

While the Package wizard does not support installing files to any custom
directory, it does support installing files to sub-directories of the
application directory. You can specify a sub-directory for installing
additional files into from the wizard page that allows you to add
additional files to the installation. Sorry to have posted incorrect
information.

--
Regards,
Mike Wachal
On Fri, 13 Feb 2022 19:45:08 -0800, Mike Wachal wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Feb 2022 09:56:35 -0500, Adam O'Neil wrote:
>
>> - If you add ActiveX components to a package, it appears that the Wizard
>> does not add rows to the SelfReg table in the .msi file--so your ActiveX
>> components will never be registered. Is this really true? ...that the
>> Package Wizard has no support for ActiveX components?
>>
>> - When you add additional files to an installation, how do you identify
>> "special" directories, like "common files" or "system32" or "my
documents"?
>> The Wizard appears to have no support for this. This is a problem if you
>> want to put an ActiveX control in the system32 directory.
>>
>> - I've noticed some inconsistent behavior regarding how setups are
created.
>> The first couple times I ran it, I got a 34MB cab file containing the
Access
>> binaries--in addition to two other .msi files--one for my app, and one
for
>> the runtime itself. (I'd hoped everything would be in one file, but oh
wel.)
>> However, when I run the Wizard now, I never get the big cab file that
>> contains the core Access binaries--even though I'm asking for them in
the
>> Wizard. Is this some kind of bug?
>>
>> adam
>
> Hi Adam,
>
> The ADE Package wizard does not support distributing ActiveX controls.
This
> is primarily because no ActiveX controls were shipped as part of the
Access