Re: 2003 to 97

From: Lynn Trapp (ltrappNoSpam_at_ltcomputerdesigns.com)
Date: 04/29/04

Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 16:33:26 -0500

You can have both A97 and A2003 installed on the same computer. Make sure
A97 is installed first and install A2003 in a different folder on your hard
drive.

--
Lynn Trapp
MS Access MVP
"Katherine" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
Amy,
I have a similar question. I have several Access 97
databases located on a shared drive. I haven't split the
databases into  FE and BE yet, but when I do both will be
located on the server (rather than placing the FE on each
users desktop). We are all currently using Access 97 but
are being upgraded to Access 2003. As our regional offices
are located throughout my state, this will be a long
process. My office is scheduled for mid July. Other
offices are scheduled as early as May and as late as
October. Am I correct in understanding that I will need to
be set up with two computers - one running Access 97 and
another running Access 2003 - during this process? Won't I
need 2003 running to convert the 97 version and 97 running
to maintain the BE until every office gets upgraded? Would
I be wise to make a plea to my department's management
team to provide me with two computers? Thank you Amy for
any advice you can offer.

Access Newsgroups.
> You can convert an Access 2002/2003 database to 97
format.  To do so, open
>your database in Access 2003.  Go to the menu bar and
choose Tools,
>Database Utilities, Convert Database, to Access 97 File
Format.  You cannot
>directly open an Access 97 database in Access 2003.  You
must convert it,
>and vice versa.  You cannot open an Access 2003 database
in Access 97.
>Another option would be to split the database.  You can
create an Access 97
>backend file that contains the tables and use different
>databases as frontends that are linked to the tables in
the backend, but of
>course each having it's own other local objects.  This
way users with
>multiple versions of Access can still share the same data.
>
>I hope this helps!  If you have additional questions on
this topic, please
>respond back to this posting.
>

>Regards,
>
>Amy Vargo
>Microsoft Access Engineer
>

>This posting is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties, and
confers no rights.
>You assume all risk for your use.  2001 Microsoft
Corporation. All rights
>reserved.
>

>.

Relevant Pages