Re: Converting Application from ADP to ACCDB

I was using MDB for years, and about 3 years ago I got a new job. The new
job involves nearly all ADP work.
I've bought loads of books to find 'best practice' for using ADP and SQL
Server, but not one had everything I wanted.
I think the best was "Microsoft Access Developers Guide to SQL Server"
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Microsoft-Access-Developers-Guide-to-SQL-Server/Andy-Baron/e/9780672319440

But its a bit out of date by now, has no reference to Access 2007. Any
Access 2007 book I've seen so far haven't been great.
I wish someone would write a decent one. Or let me know of a good book!

With regards to local tables, I personally would like them in Access.
Since the future of ADP is a bit uncertain, I've often considered switching
formats.
Planning to upgrade to SQL Server 2008 this year. I won't be able to change
the design of any SQL objects from within ADP, which means that ADP loses
one of its main advantages.
Is there any reason not to use ACCDB?

"Mark_David_Edwards via AccessMonster.com" <u52630@uwe> wrote in message
Know of any good reference material I can lay my hands on that covers
these
little goodies? Every book I look at in the book store starts out:

"This is a table... it holds data... This is a form... you can put
controls
on it and bind it to a data source... But don't ask us for much more than
the
basics, because we don't cover anything else...."

Magazines are the same way:

"100 Ways to Speed Up Your Computer - (Same 100 ways we told you about
last
year about this time)... Next month, the 10 Best Computers We Tested
(made
by the companies who paid us the most to mention their junk in this
magazine).
."

You get the picture. Is there an "advanced" book out there somewhere? If
not, I'm going to write one! So, please, everyone send me your tips and
tricks and techniques - or point me to a GOOD source of them - and I'll
get
it done!

Sylvain Lafontaine wrote:
Thanks for the light up on the fact that you can bind a form to an ADODB
recordset and still have it updatable. I keep forgetting it every few
months. Did you guy had the time to check the same with subforms and
subreports?

As for your use of local tables, it's hard to give you any advice or
opinion
on that matter without knowing what you want to do with those local
tables.
BTW, you can also have local tables with an ADP project, all you have to
do
is to have a local ACCDB database file and access it with ADO.

An even better idea would probably be to have a local installation of
SQL-Server Express and use it not only for the storage of local tables but
also as the main portal to the data by implementing a synchronisation
process with it and the central server (or a cloud storage).

A group of developers I'm working with just had a good, indepth
discussion
on
[quoted text clipped - 52 lines]

Any suggestions re whether this can be done, and if so, how?

  • Re: From .mdb to .adp database
    ... there is no exact equivalent query object in SQL Server to MDB's query. ... Most likely, the wizard converts MDB queries to Viwes or SP, if the queries are convertiable. ... Also, when you decide to use MDB front-end, you can choose use MDB queries in the front end or use SQL Server side query objects. ... SQL Server is very powerful server software, whether you use MDB, ADP or anything else to access data from it, you MUST learn how to use it and almost for sure you need to learn another programming environment. ...
    (microsoft.public.access.adp.sqlserver)
  • Re: From .mdb to .adp database
    ... I decided to go on with adp project, and i have created a store ... But queries are different stories. ... In SQL Server, there are Views, Stored Procedures, UDFs. ... Also, when you decide to use MDB front-end, you can choose use MDB ...
    (microsoft.public.access.adp.sqlserver)
  • Re: Upsizing design considerations
    ... reports, with a ADP, or mdb (actually, it should be mde, or a ADE when you ... you would LINK the tables to sql server, and NOT USE a adp (the reasons is ... the first two remote users ...
  • Re: From .mdb to .adp database
    ... there is no exact equivalent query object in SQL Server to MDB's query. ... Most likely, the wizard converts MDB queries to Viwes or SP, if the queries are convertiable. ... Also, when you decide to use MDB front-end, you can choose use MDB queries in the front end or use SQL Server side query objects. ... SQL Server is very powerful server software, whether you use MDB, ADP or anything else to access data from it, you MUST learn how to use it and almost for sure you need to learn another programming environment. ...
    (microsoft.public.access.adp.sqlserver)
  • Re: Official Status of SQLServer 2005 ADP
    ... solution might be to use ADP. ... With MDB and Linked tables, the only ways of accelerating things are the use ... of Views and the cumbersome use of SQL passthrough queries. ... > SQL Server, and carry on using Access like I aways had. ...
    (microsoft.public.access.adp.sqlserver)