Moving solution in-house, coulple of questions

Tech Tip: Click here to run a free scan for Windows Errors and optimize PC performance

We had a Biztalk 2006 solution developed for us by outside contractors. It
basically took data passed to a webservice and performed some
transforms/mappings and dumped a couple of files and did some SQL inserts.

I've migrated the solution into VS 2008\Biztalk 2009 (running on the same box)

The VS.net solution consists of:

- A helper assembly with does logging, data validation, etc. (DataSyncHelper)
- An orchestration assembly (DataSyncOrchestrations)
- A schemas/maps assembly (DataSyncSchemas)
- Another helper assembly for registry/config (RegistryHelper)

I have the application created in biztalk, all the ports are correctly
configured, etc. Things appear to be deployed properly.

Where I'm having trouble is that the helper assembly has an issue of some
sort (a map functiod accesses the helper assembly (Datasynchelper) as an
external assembly). I'm trying to debug it, but I'm having great difficulty
deploying the assemblies in such a way that the application sees the changes.

IDEALLY:
I'd like to be able to debug/step through the external assembly as the
BizTalk Service Instance consumes it.

CURRENTLY:
I'm trying to add debugging/file logging info to the assembly, but the
deployment of the modified assembly is proving difficult.

Two questions:
- Can an external assembly be debugged? I compile it in debug, set
breakpoints, and attach to the BTSNTSvc.exe process. This lets me debug the
orchestrations to some extend, but it never hits the breakpoints for the dll
project in my solution.

- When deploying my changed dll, I:
* change the assembly version in the VS.net project
* re-deploy the solution from VS.net
* update the BizTalk application's RESOURCES to point to the new dll
* update the assembly in the GAC for the new version

However, I get a file not found exception:
==========================
xlang/s engine event log entry: Uncaught exception (see the 'inner
exception' below) has suspended an instance of service
'DataSyncOrchestrations.EStoreExtrasOrchestration(7de63e2c-f131-33f9-376f-f017c3306a38)'.
The service instance will remain suspended until administratively resumed or
terminated.
If resumed the instance will continue from its last persisted state and may
re-throw the same unexpected exception.
InstanceId: 23da3e99-4d22-43b1-87ad-7a45825a45de
Shape name:
ShapeId:
Exception thrown from: segment -1, progress -1
Inner exception: Could not load file or assembly 'DataSyncHelper,
Version=1.0.39.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=af6d29f6af6bda59' or one of
its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Exception type: FileNotFoundException
Source: DataSyncOrchestrations
Target Site: Microsoft.XLANGs.Core.StopConditions
segment1(Microsoft.XLANGs.Core.StopConditions)
The following is a stack trace that identifies the location where the
exception occured

at
DataSyncOrchestrations.EStoreExtrasOrchestration.segment1(StopConditions
stopOn)
at Microsoft.XLANGs.Core.SegmentScheduler.RunASegment(Segment s,
StopConditions stopCond, Exception& exp)
==========================

The frustrating part is that my projects ALL have project references to the
library, and the versions are updated automatically. When I increment the
build of the DataSyncHelper assembly, all the projects correctly reference
the proper version. Somewhere, however, it's looking for 1.0.39.0, but the
current version deployed (and in the GAC) is 1.0.45.0.

Should BT app deployment be this difficult? Am I missing something?

Thanks kindly,

Jordan
sapientgroup_AT_Hot_Mail_Dot_com

  • Re: Assembly x references the following assemblies that must be...
    ... If this DLL contains XSD (BizTalk) schemas it must also be deployed to the BizTalk management database. ... Right click the correct BizTalk application and choose 'Add', 'BizTalk Assemblies' from ... must be deployed before deploying this assembly: ...
    (microsoft.public.biztalk.general)
  • Re: EventLogPermission via caspol.exe
    ... I moved my code off UNC to local disk. ... Exception oInnerException, Boolean bLog) ... > web app and assemblies over UNC. ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.security)
  • Re: EventLogPermission via caspol.exe
    ... I moved my code off UNC to local disk. ... Exception oInnerException, Boolean bLog) ... > web app and assemblies over UNC. ...
  • Re: Cross-AppDomain call problems
    ... It might be that I pass a custom exception accross ... that I pass custom assemblies accross. ... none of the types are leaking across the appdomain boundary. ... I have a simple interface assembly that defines all the types the two ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.framework)
  • Re: Custom exception and JIT debugging
    ... That implies that you may be seeing an artifact of the environment, ... the assemblies are located may be different. ... client code that catches the exception. ... If the type used in the client is defined in an assembly ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.framework)