Re: Urgent: Slow Response to First Request

Benjamin,
Im using Biztalk 2006 on Windows 2003. I have a set of orchestrations
published as web services and these in turn call some other .NET webservices.
The target webservices have been unit tested and perform well. The Biztalk
services however take very long time when they are first called or after a
period of inactivity.

I found an old post here http://www.webservertalk.com/message1368724.html
which suggests using HttpBatchSize . But that key doesnt exist for 06. Any
ideas if it should be there or is it renamed or do we have to create it
ourselves?

You might be getting hit by two different issues. The first one is that depending on how you have your BizTalk configured, it might unload certain assemblies (like your orchestrations) after a certain period of inactivity. You can tune this behavior by forcing biztalk to load your assemblies into a separate appdomain and configure the approrpriate settings for it, which are documented here: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa578610.aspx

The second issue (and the one that usually causes more trouble) is ASP.NET itself. Your published webservices execute inside IIS in your ASP.NET application. ASP.NET, unfortunately, has some hardcoded limits which cause it to unload an application's appdomain after some inactivity, and there's no options or settings you can use to avoid that behavior (even the inactivity period is hardcoded by the runtime and not modifyable). The only option I've seen to work around this is to create a small script that hits the webservice (even if it is just to retrieve its wsdl) at regular intervals, to ensure it never gets unloaded.

--
Tomas Restrepo
http://www.devdeo.com/

  • RE: Simple question ??
    ... mean that WebServices are for several Services/Apps, ... Presentation tier is situated remotely from your Business Objects Server, ... function on web services becasue of web application, ... "As you said web service is for remote methode, ...
  • RE: Simple question ??
    ... Take into account that WebServices are intented for remote WebMethods ... execution, so, it does not make sense to do it within the same SERVER... ... be internally like your application (Business Objects, access to DataBase, ... > I am a beginer in web services and would like to get your advise and comments. ...
  • The underlying connection was closed - Remoting.Channels.Http.HttpClientTransportSink
    ... My problem _is_ with the webservices and with ... Web Services Client: ... >closed: The request was c ... >>the problem I use remoting and not webservie. ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.framework)
  • Re: Urgent: Slow Response to First Request
    ... I usually set AppDomains for all the biztalk assemblies anyway ... webservices into life. ... assemblies after a certain period of inactivity. ... separate appdomain and configure the approrpriate settings for it, ...
    (microsoft.public.biztalk.general)
  • Re: Will web services help-More Info
    ... You need a web server that can run asp.net web services: ... > We are trying to implement a distributed application which will connect clinics having visual basic applications.Each of these clinics will access and update a centralised database with there unique data.Like scheduling an appointment from any clinic or access the patients info from any clinic. ... What is the infrastucture needed for hosting and accessing the webservices. ...