MSDTC issue

Hi all,

I hope someone can help me with getting MSDTC to work.

We've got the following:
Machine A:
- windows 2003 server
- BizTalk 2004 SP1
- SQL Server 2000 SP3a (for BizTalk databases)

Machine B:
-windows 2003 SP1 server
-SQL Server 2000 SP4

- Machine A is located in domain A and Machine B is located in domain
B. These domains don't have any trusted relations.
- Both machines are configured (using MS KB article Q250367) to only
use ports 5100-5200 for MSDTC communication.
- Machines are linked via a VPN.
- Name resolving is done via hosts file. (pinging is succesfull and
listing in Enterprise Manager as well)
- There is no NAT-ing on the VPN (this will not work according to MS
Whitepaper http://www.microsoft.com/com/wpaper/dcomfw.asp, although
other articles state otherwise))
- There are no firewall ports closed on the VPN (yet)

We have 2 orchestrations running on Machine A that are transactional
and need to write data to the database on Machine B. They constantly
send out the error-message "New transaction cannot enlist in the
specified transaction coordinator." for every document send through the
orchestration.

I've been trying to see what the problem could be. Using DTCPing (MS KB
306843) everything looks okay, but for these lines in the log for
machine A:

06-12, 15:50:10.138-->Error(0x2) at NetName.cpp @245
06-12, 15:50:10.138-->-->fopen for host file
06-12, 15:50:10.138-->-->2(The system cannot find the file specified.)

These lines are situated just above the contents of the hosts file. I
can only imagine that it wants to list the lmhosts file, but I'm not
totally sure. However binding and reverse binding is succesfull from
both machines.

But when I use the DTCTester tool (MS KB Q293779) I get the following
output:

Initializing DTC
Beginning DTC Transaction
Enlisting Connection in Transaction
Error: SQLSTATE=25S12,Native error=-2147168242,msg='[Microsoft][ODBC
SQL Server Driver] Distributed transaction error'
Error:
SQLSTATE=24000,Native error=0,msg=[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server
Driver]Invalid cursor state

Typical Errors in DTC Output When
a. Firewall Has Ports Closed
-OR-
b. Bad WINS/DNS entries
-OR-
c. Misconfigured network
-OR-
d. Misconfigured SQL Server machine that has multiple netcards.

Aborting DTC Transaction
Releasing DTC Interface Pointers
Successfully Released pTransaction Pointer.

So in my humble opinion MSDTC still isn't working.

I've also applied all advised settings in MS KB 329332 to enable
network access for MSDTC.

I probably have tryied a lot of other things I even can't remember or
haven't mentioned here. I only know I'm very desperate in getting MSDTC
to work between those servers.

Any ideas, suggestions, questions, etc. are very welcome.

Best regards,
Bas van der Meijden
Reed Business Information bv / Toeristiek

  • RE: DTC Error
    ... Regarding the MSDTC events, ... Let us refer to the steps below to check the security settings for MSDTC: ... Run services.msc and make sure that the Distributed Transaction ... This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Linked Server on WinXP SP2
    ... Between Web Servers and SQL Servers Running Windows Server 2003" at ... discusses ICF and DTC. ... to a distributed transaction in the case of the insert/exec statement. ... XPSP2 --> XPSP2 WORKS ...
  • Re: Looking for suggestions on specs
    ... heavy use of DTC without using linked server queries or two-phase commits. ... I refer to ODBC transactions. ... transaction support it ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.clustering)
  • Re: sql2k: linked server/msdtc
    ... How to enable network DTC access in Windows Server 2003 ... you install the Microsoft Security Bulletin MS05-051 for COM+ and MS DTC ... MSDTC fails to mutually authenticate when computers do not run in the same domain ...
    (microsoft.public.de.sqlserver)
  • Problems with Win2K3 - DTC and winmgmt in Event Viewer
    ... single CPU server for awhile, ... MSDTC ... Could not start the MS DTC Transaction Manager ...