RE: Send File and Get Confirmation.. Possible?

From: Ian Cross (Cassium) (IanCrossCassium_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 02/19/05

Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 06:01:04 -0800

Hi,

You should be able to use delivery notifications for this purpose.
Basically, what you need to do is:

Put the Send shape inside a non-transactional but synchronized scope
Set the Delivery Notification property to 'Transmitted' on the Port
Add an exception handler to the bottom of the synchronized scope that
catches a DeliveryFailureException

Basically, the orchestration will not move passed the end of the
synchronized scope until it knows whether the send was successful or not.
Using this approach, you can design your orchestration to behave accordingly.

Bear in mind that there is a performance penalty associated with using
delivery notifications, because under the covers, BizTalk is using special
Ack / Nack correlated messages to accomlish the work. However, don't worry
too much about this penalty unless you're dealing with 10's of orchestrations
per second.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers,

Ian