Re: Creating a web reference to a URL beyond the company firewall

From: Jon Flanders[DevelopMentor] (jfland_at_develop.com)
Date: 02/01/05

Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 11:42:11 -0800

Nope - just should need the wsdl file. If you can (if it isn't private) you
can send it to me and I can test it.

--
Jon Flanders [DevelopMentor]
http://staff.develop.com/jfland/
"mauricethegp" <mauricethegp@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
> OK, I copied the wsdl file to c:\inetpub\wwwroot on the machine where
> Biztalk
> is installed (the default website is running there); I call "Add Web
> Reference" and tell the dialogue to look for services on the local host;
> and
> select the wsdl file; fine so far, the dialogue lets me proceed.
>
> However, immediately the dialogue closes I get "Failed to add a web
> reference (if I entered the dialogue by right-clicking on the
> orchestration
> node in Solution Explorer) or "Could not generate Biztalk files. Object
> reference not set to instance of an object" (if I entered the dialogue by
> right-clicking on the "Web References" node) .
>
> What am I doing wrong? Does BizTalk actually need a genuine web service on
> the local host to generate the proxy class behind the scene, rather than
> just
> the wsdl file?
>
> Steve
>
> "Jon Flanders[DevelopMentor]" wrote:
>
>> Download the wsdl outside of BizTalk. Import it through webreference -
>> going
>> to your local wsdl instead of the live wsdl.  When you setup the
>> SendPort -
>> you can configure the SOAP Send Adapter to authenticate against the proxy
>> server (it is seperate tab under the send port adapter configuration)
>>
>> --
>> Jon Flanders [DevelopMentor]
>> http://staff.develop.com/jfland/
>> http://www.develop.com/courses/biztalk
>> "mauricethegp" <mauricethegp@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
>> >I know that this may be an old chestnut to .NET developers and that
>> >there
>> >are
>> > workarounds in normal .NET projects, but here goes anyway...
>> >
>> > The scenario is that I want to create a BizTalk application that will
>> > consume a web service. The web service is hosted on a computer which is
>> > on
>> > the public internet, outside the company firewall.  All access to such
>> > public
>> > internet sites have to be routed via the company proxy server.
>> >
>> > Let's say for example:
>> > *  the web service is at www.supplier.com/webservices/theservice.asmx,
>> > *  the proxy server name (as shown in Internet
>> > Properties/Connections/Lan
>> > Settings) is companyproxy, using port 80
>> >
>> > I know I need to add a web reference via the "Add Web Reference"
>> > wizard.
>> >
>> > If I just give "Add Web Reference" the URL
>> > "http://www.supplier.com/webservices/theservice.asmx" then I get
>> > prompted
>> > for
>> > username/password/domain. After supplying the valid credentials the
>> > dialogue
>> > shows the documentation about the available services in
>> > "theservice.asmx"
>> > in
> [...]

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Passing User Define class to web service.
    ... First, you should try to update your web reference, then go to the generated ... that when the new web service proxy is ... >> likely problem is that myClass is multiply defined in separate namespaces ...
  • RE: How to consume IBM CICS Web Service
    ... I simply put swdl file in local IIS and add web reference in my client app. ... Web service is external, ... change the wsdl file to reference the ...
    (microsoft.public.biztalk.general)
  • Re: web service
    ... Can you send a screenshot of the "Add Web Reference" dialog box after you ... I have just tried that web service you specified, and got the WSDL displayed ... ok and was able to generate a proxy class in C# just fine. ...
    (microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcad)
  • Re: Need some help reading instructions
    ... Mr. Rogers would have you edit the generated proxy file, in the hopes that nobody will ever do an "Update Web Reference" command and wipe out your changes. ... Like the original poster in the old thread, I need to return a collection class from the web service, but when I create a client and add a web reference to it, the service returns an object array rather than a collection class. ... This causes ASP.NET to create a WSDL and return it to the client. ...
  • Re: wsdl file
    ... > You can use the WSDL.exe to generate the proxy code from the wsdl file. ... > Now you can call the webservice without any web reference. ... >> In this case there is no http location to add the web reference ...