RE: Versions and reccomendations

Tech-Archive recommends: Fix windows errors by optimizing your registry

From: Arne (Arne_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 11/16/04

Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2021 03:29:04 -0800

Thanks, that answered the licensing/legal part of the question very nicely :-)

Arne

"Matt Meleski" wrote:

> Three trading partners, would be outside entities.
>
> For example if your company where BTS 2004 is installed is called
> ABC Incorporated :
>
> Then you could interact with up to three outside companies using BTS 2004:
> 1) DEF Incoorparated
> 2) GHI Incorporated
> 3) JKL Incorporated.
>
> As soon as you needed to interact with MNO Incorporated you would have to
> upgrade to the Standard Edition to be legal.
>
> An internal Application would be an internal PeopleSoft System/ SAP system/
> Sql Server Database / Oracle DataBase / MainFrame G.L. Therefore
> your BizTalk server could be doing application integration between your
> PeopleSoft Systtem, SAP System, and Sql Server. But if you then needed to
> add in the Oracle Database, that would be four Internal Applications and you
> would have to upgrade to the Standard Edition to be legal.
>
> Additionally the partner addition will work against the freebie version of
> SQL Server , MSDE, so you will not also have to purchase a SQL server
> license, to run your BizTalk Server.
>
> For licensing and version differences see
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/6/f/e6fcf394-e03e-4e15-bd80-8c1c127e88e7/LicensingFAQ.doc
>
> Matt.
>
> "Arne" wrote:
>
> > I am a bit uncertain on recommendation of the different versions of BizTalk
> > Server 2004. Under what circumstances would it be OK to settle for Standard
> > Edition - or Partner Edition? I know multi-processor support exist only in
> > Enterprise Edition, and load-balancing also, I expect? I have seen some
> > statements suggesting that the Standard Edition is not acceptable, but
> > haven't seen the arguements for this.
> >
> > It would be tempting, for some projects, to start with the low-cost Partner
> > Edition, and upgrade to Standard or Enterprise Edition when success is
> > evident :-) and activity increases. Any viewpoints on this?
> >
> > The description of Partner Edition statest that it "supports integration
> > with up to three applications and three trading partners" - does anybody
> > know what this means for practical purposes?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any enlightening words on this...
> >
> > arne

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Are multiple-instances on a single cluster supported with SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition?
    ... If you have a per-proc license, you can run as many instances as your system ... can hold on the cluster. ... Personally, I would go with Standard Edition for a two-node, four-proc SQL ... Microsoft SQL Server MVP ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.clustering)
  • Re: Best license program
    ... Otherwise the best is to use Standard Edition with per seat licensing if ... processor license if there are more than 25 users. ... Companies with one server en a maximum of 10 concurrent users. ... > What SQL server license should i advice for these companies? ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.server)
  • Re: SQL Server 2005 - Runtime to Unrestricted License
    ... possible just to embed the proper license information inside the ... bought the Standard edition but used the runtime edition ... Q. What is Microsoft SQL Server Runtime? ... applications or to develop new applications, databases, or tables. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.server)
  • Re: Are multiple-instances on a single cluster supported with SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition?
    ... whoever wrote your requirements has little or no understanding of SQL ... If you have a per-proc license, you can run as many instances as your system ... Personally, I would go with Standard Edition for a two-node, four-proc SQL ... Microsoft SQL Server MVP ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.clustering)
  • Re: Can I install SQL Server Enterprise on Windows 2000 SBS
    ... I don't think you can create indexes on views via Enterprise Manager, ... topic "Creating an indexed view" in SQL Server Books Online. ... > I create a view in SQL Server (Standard edition in my SBS) ... >>> Enterprise edition says requires Windows 2000 Server ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.setup)