Re: Network Drivers Failed, system won't work outside of DSRM mode.

Can you do a system state restore from a backup?

Backing Up and Restoring Windows Small Business Server 2003
(see: "To restore the server from backup media")
http://www.microsoft.com/smallbusiness/support/articles/backup_restore_sbs2003.mspx

--
Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]
============================

"Matthew M." <MatthewM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Last night I got the brilliant idea to update the NIC drivers on a SBS
server, the install for the drivers went fine, the system said it needed
reboot to complete the load of said drivers. We rebooted the machine and
failures across the board have been happening since. I cannot get back
into
the machine outside of DSRM mode, but I can't install or changes the bad
drivers in DSRM mode.

8 Hours now I'm at a total loss as to how to start to fix this barring a
format and restore to backups. Any attempt to install/change the bad nic
driver in DSRM mode I'm met with "Access Denied", "The system cannot find
the
file specified" etc. etc.

I have tried a few times using the last known good configuration, no luck.
I'm not able to get the MS Loopback adapter installed to work around the
issue because of the above reasons.

Where I stand right now, system will boot and is at least able to be
accessed using DSRM, any attempt to boot windows normally results in the
system hanging as all the services fail and I cannot actually get to the
control panel to change the driver.

I'm really at a complete loss, the fix seems pretty easy, install network
drivers. I can't get to a place where I can install the network drivers.

Has anyone seen this before? Am I missing something? Is my only option at
this point to reinstal and recover?

  • Re: Disaster Restore SBS2003
    ... If you had the server set to download updates automatically (never ... then install any service packs to return the server to the same service pack ... have the correct version of NTBackup prior to the restore. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Search Key Error, Memo type field
    ... Tracking project to upgrade the MARVAIR01 file print server: ... printer drivers, file restore. ... incremental backup of files so that the next restore time req will be ... install, but failed due to current server detected, will have to install post ...
    (microsoft.public.access.externaldata)
  • Re: How to move a Windows installation to different hardware
    ... "Microsoft does not support restoring a system state backup from one ... workstations to look at the new server, take the old server off line. ... way you don't duplicate the corrupted install. ... and after the restore copy those files back. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.setup)
  • Re: After manually undoing a recent MS Update, my server is a mess
    ... Keep in mind that I have seen OEM drivers up there so given that you've blown that image away, I can't say for certain that the 'critical' was 100% pushed by Microsoft. ... External USB is no replacement for local drives. ... LOL I show my naivety here when I say that I showed great diligence in my blind application of any MS suggested resolution to "Critical Errors" on my Small Business Server Monitor Report. ... When I got the first BSOD, I booted from the orginal CD and chose to only restore the System files. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Missing "PCI to CARDBUS Bridge" drivers
    ... Rather than follow HP's advice and use the original Quick Restore CD's, ... And I still don't know what event would have caused the drivers to be lost. ... > restore the notebook to factory condition using the QuickRestore CDs ... With those two Bridges not installed, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)