Re: Can't Connect Computers

Check the CD set you got. Premium is just an extra CD (called Premium
Technologies CD) with SQL 2000 and ISA 2000. You would nee two NICs to
install ISA in firewall mode. Since you have only one NIC in the SBS, we
can treat assume that the ISA firewall isn't coming into play.

--
Merv Porter [SBS-MWP]
============================

"0013" <0013@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I think it's premium, but I'm not sure. Do you know where I can find this
information?

Also, to turn off IP Routing, do I need to edit the registry or is there a
way to do this through network connections?

Thanks,

"Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]" wrote:

Do you have SBS 2003 Standard or Premium?

UPNP... don't use it. Sometimes it works, soemtimes it doesn't. Set up
the router manaully.

Single NIC... You only have a single NIC in the SBS server. To deploy
the
Windows RRAS firewall, 2 NICs are required. The message is telling you
that
you must rely on a firewall device to protect your network. Some routers
are also firewall devices. So you have to evealuate the capabilities of
your router to determine if this provides adequate protection for your
needs.

"Windows Firewall cannot run because another program"... you are seeing
this
message because the built-in Windows firewall is disabled during SBS 2003
setup.

Also, on your workstation, from your "ipconfig /all", it appears that you
have "IP routing enabled". Turn this off, then try ConnectComputer
again.

--
Merv Porter [SBS-MWP]
============================

"0013" <0013@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I'm not sure if it's relevant, but here is some more information.

When I run the internet connection wizard, it tells me that a Universal
Plug
and Play router was detected on the network and asks if I want the
wizard
automatically configure the router. If I have it automatically
configure
the
router, then every external web page I browse to from the server brings
up
the internal what do you want to do page and on the work station, which
still
isn't on the network, I can't browse to any external pages, but I still
get
the same error when I try connect computer. Then the only way for me
be
able to access the internet again is to reset the router. When I
choose
that
I don't want it to automatically configure, I am able to access the
internet
after the wizard has finished.

Also, when I'm doing the manual configuration and I get to the screen
that
asks for DNS, Local IP address of router and has the checkbox for "My
server
uses a singe network connection for both internet access and the local
network," if I uncheck the box it won't let me proceed telling me that
"this connection type requires that two network adapters are installed.
ONly one was detected on theis server. Either install a second adapter
or
choose another connection type. To see what connection types this
wizard
supports, click More Information"

When I check that box and click next, I get a yes/no dialog saying:
"Only one network adapter is configured for use. As a result, the
firewall
provided with Small Business Server cannot be configured. Without a
firewall, your network is vulnerable to unathorized Internet access.
You
should either ensure that you are using an external firewall device or
install a second network adapter.''
Do you want to view information about configuration settings for an
existing
firewall device?"

I also noticed that when I try to open the firewall from the control
panel,
I get a message saying "Windows Firewall cannot run because another
program
or service is running that might use the network address translation
component (Ipnat.sys)"

One other thing is that I am able to get to the http://companyweb/
intranet
site from the workstation, even though I haven't connected the computer
and
I'm not in the domain.

As I said, I don't know if any of this is relevant, but I fugured more
information is better.

Thanks,

"Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]" wrote:

On the workstation, disable the wireless and Bluetooth adapters. The
try
ConnectComputer again.

If that doesn't work, now that you made DNS changes, please post
another
ipconfig /all for the server and for the workstation.

--
Merv Porter [SBS-MWP]
============================

"0013" <0013@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I specify the DNS in the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) properties right?

I did everything below and I still get the same error
"Make sure that only one network adapter is enabled and that it is
connected
to the Small Business Server."

"Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]" wrote:

DNS for the workstation(s) should point to the SBS server IP
address
(192.168.1.103). Also, you may experience less problems if you
turn
off
DHCP Server Service on the router and let the SBS server handle
DHCP
for
your LAN. After turning off DHCP on the router, re-run CEICW,
input
your
ISP's DNS nameservers IPs as "forwarders" on the appropriate
screen,
select
Enable Firewall, select the services you want, then finish CEICW.
Then
reboot the workstations to get an IP address from the SBS server.

Also, if the router has wireless capabilities, disable any wireless
adapters
on the workstation(s) or turn this feature off on the router..

How to configure Internet access in Windows Small Business Server
2003
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825763

--
Merv Porter [SBS-MWP]
============================

"0013" <0013@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
From Server:
Windows IP Configuration
Host Name....................: sbs2003
Primary Dns Suffix.........: cjs.local
Node Type ...................: Unknown
IP Routing Enabled.........: Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled.......: Yes
DNS Suffix Search List....: cjs.local

Ethernet adapter Server Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix.....:
Description.................................: Broadcom
NetXtreme
Gigabit
Ethernet
Physical Address.........................: 00-14-22-7A-CF-20
DHCP Enabled.............................: No
IP Address..................................: 192.168.1.103
Subnet Mask...............................: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway..........................: 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers...............................: 192.168.1.103
Primary WINS Server...................: 192.168.1.103

From workstation:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : CJSTABLET
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless
2915ABG
Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-12-F0-C7-D5-F5

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme
Gigabit
Ethernet
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0A-E4-35-AE-CF
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
128.103.200.101
128.103.1.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, September
14,
2006
7:29:55
PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, September 15,
2006
7:29:55 P

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth LAN Access
Server
Driver
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0E-9B-DE-97-FF

"Cris Hanna [SBS-MVP]" wrote:

please run "IPconfig /all" without the quotes on your server and
post
the
results here

--
Cris E. Hanna [SBS-MVP]
I can't connect any computers to the network. I have added the
computer
via
the server and when I open a browser on that computer and go
http://sbs2003/connectcomputer I get an error saying "Make
sure
that
only
one
network adapter is enabled and that it is connected to the
small
business
server."

If I re-run setup, it tells me that "This computer has only
one
network
adapter."
The computer has one network card and I have an external
wireless
router
where the source ethernet connection is plugged into. I think
that
may
have
something to do with it. Also, I had a problem, where after
the
initial
installation, I couldn't get to the external internet, only
the
SBS
intranet,
from any computers connected to my router. I reset the router
and
was
able
to get to the internet, so that may have something to do with
it
also.

Thanks in advance for any help

  • Re: Cant Connect Computers
    ... the router manaully. ... You only have a single NIC in the SBS server. ... you must rely on a firewall device to protect your network. ... When I run the internet connection wizard, it tells me that a Universal ...
    (microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz)
  • Re: Connection from remote computer to network SQL Server
    ... I tried making the SQL machine a "trusted" on the router. ... data source and the server you want to connect to. ... a long pause before a screen comes up telling me the connection has failed ... It's also a good idea to add Network Library=DBMSSOCN; ...
    (microsoft.public.access.adp.sqlserver)
  • Re: Outgoing POP3 email missing/lost/not received
    ... Funny thing is that I have had this ISP for 8 years and it has always been ... It looks like when you last ran CEICW, you set the ISP's mail server to: ... Internet Connection Wizard. ... After the wizard completes, the following network connection ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: Cannot Connect via remote desktop
    ... Again if I put the url vpn.xxxxx.co.uk it takes me straight to the router ... Two network adapters - UPnP router connection to broadband ... Before you run the Configure E-mail and Internet Connection Wizard, ... Click to clear the My server uses a single network connection for both ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Outgoing POP3 email missing/lost/not received
    ... ISP's mail server instead of the domain name on the ... SUMMARY OF SETTINGS FOR CONFIGURE E-MAIL AND INTERNET ... Internet Connection Wizard. ... After the wizard completes, the following network connection ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)