Re: dns configuration for public static ip

I don't think it is UPNP because I can use the VPN server, and RWW, which are
both using UPNP to forward the ports to 10.10.10.2. I have run the connect
to internet wizard, I don't have ISA installed yet. When I created the
domain.com zone it automatically used my internal nic ip and subnet for all
the records. I configured the dns server so it would listen on all
interfaces...I will have to try removing the router tomorrow. I tried
putting the external nics ip in dns for the NS, SOA... but it didn't seem to
work, I don't know if it was confused since I still have the internal records
in there

"Cris Hanna [SBS-MVP]" wrote:

I don't have a lot of experience with UPNP,
Have you run the connect to the internet wizard?
Is ISA installed?? (don't think it was)
To find out if its your router, remove it and assign the static IP to your
external nic. Then try
--
Cris E. Hanna [SBS-MVP]
Here is the way the network is setup is I have a cable modem, which is
connected to a linksys router which is where my public static ip is, the
lan
side of the router is 10.10.10.1, and I have UPnP Forwarding to
10.10.10.2,
which is the Server's external nic. Thanks again
Ethernet adapter Server External Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : domain.net
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-10-18-1C-51-DC
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Ethernet adapter Server Internal Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : domain.net
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Network
Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-72-FE-48-B8
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

"Cris Hanna [SBS-MVP]" wrote:

that would be correct

Post your IPCONFIG /all from your server

--
Cris E. Hanna [SBS-MVP]
If I have my router forwarding all requests to my external nic, could
that
be
the problem of why I can't do a dns query on my domain? The ip of my
external nic is 10.10.10.2, and my internal card is 192.168.1.1.
Thanks

"Cris Hanna [SBS-MVP]" wrote:

and why is it that we have 3 - 10 security patches every
month...because
every month, a new vulnerability is found...and a patch is created.
and
so
you are up to date for another month. But it doesn't necessarily mean
your
business network is safe from the bad guys. It simply means that
either
no
one has attempted to get to your network via a vulnerabilty that has
yet
be patched.'

And its not that Linux or Mac is any more secure, its just that
Windows
has
a bigger target painted on it.

--
Cris E. Hanna [SBS-MVP]
Doesn't matter how many machines you have...hosting a website
inside a
business domain is a terrible idea
Port 80 is the single most attacked port on the internet.
Host a public accessible website and it will be a matter days, if
not
hours,
before your network is compromised and one or more hackers is using
your
network for who knows what

Given it's fully up to date w' patches etc - how does this happen?
What
security holes are there in SBS?, IIS? .NET?

--
Duncan

  • Re: FRANTIC : SBS2003 - XP Client cannot access the internet
    ... Which errormessage do you get when trying to access the internet from the ... > XP Pro client cannot access the internet ... > Can access the server, ... > Ethernet adapter Server Local Area Connection: ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: problem connecting to server from XP
    ... As I am new to SBS 2003 I did not know the difference, I thought we were buying the latest version as we changed over from Novel Netware. ... If I were doing a new install today I would want to start with disks that were Windows Small Business Server 2003 w/SP1 as a starting point. ... I wish to add other items in the firewall rules but can not see where to add them without running the "Connect to Internet" wizard. ... Ethernet adapter Server Local Area Connection: ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: NAT troubleshooting
    ... I can ping and access web server using internal address. ... Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: ... internet from the main server, I can also ping private machine IP ...
  • Re: Changing IP range on SBS 2003
    ... Get rid of that lan dns suffix. ... > 10.0.0.155 is the second NIC connecting the server to the internet ... > Ethernet adapter Server Local Area Connection: ... >>> but the clients could not get on the Internet. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: dns configuration for public static ip
    ... DNS on SBS was meant for internal use only... ... to internet wizard, I don't have ISA installed yet. ... putting the external nics ip in dns for the NS, ... Ethernet adapter Server External Local Area Connection: ...
    (microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz)