Re: dns configuration for public static ip

what is your domain name now?

--
Cris E. Hanna [SBS-MVP]
When I do have my isp start hosting my dns/web server, will I have to rename
my domain? Thanks

"rick" wrote:

I understand the risk right now, but I need to get the server up and running
with email and web. We are going to switch isp's in a month or so, when we
do that I will change everything to them except exchange, but for now I need
to get it working.

"Cris Hanna [SBS-MVP]" wrote:

> Doesn't matter how many machines you have...hosting a website inside a
> business domain is a terrible idea
> Port 80 is the single most attacked port on the internet.
> Host a public accessible website and it will be a matter days, if not > hours,
> before your network is compromised and one or more hackers is using > your
> network for who knows what
>
> -- > Cris E. Hanna [SBS-MVP]
> >I only have 4 machines that are hooked to the domain, and I would like > >to
> > know to do this if we ever got another server just for the website or > > an
> > email server.. Thanks
> >
> > "Cris Hanna [SBS-MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Hosting your own email is fine...
> >> Hosting your own website on your domain controller is a horrible > >> idea
> >>
> >> Spend $5 a month, host it on somebody else's server, have them > >> handle
> >> public
> >> dns and you can still host your own email
> >>
> >> -- > >> Cris E. Hanna [SBS-MVP]

  • Re: Domain not accessible - too many connections?
    ... Cris E. Hanna [SBS-MVP] ... Please only reply in the Newsgroups and not to me directly. ... Posted via Windows Mail, on Vista Technical Edition, RC1 ... Contact the administrator of this server ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Browsing Issue
    ... able to browse certain websites from the server or any ... A treacert to the website in question will go as far as 10 hops and then the ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... newsgroups so that they can be resolved in an efficient and timely manner. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Looking for web-based newsreader
    ... >Authentication to the news server on a per-user basis. ... Support for multiple newsgroups. ... > present using the look-and-feel of the rest of my website. ... it gives webmasters the opportunity to provide web-based access ...
    (news.software.readers)
  • Re: Sharing with Newsgroup
    ... News servers form a gobal peer-to-peer network. ... Many hosts that carry newsgroups prohibit binary posts in text-only ... Such messages are simply deleted by the server. ... > explain to me the difference between posting it to an NG and to a website? ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.programming)
  • Re: Setting up newsgroups from Microsoft Server
    ... If you are talking about these Microsoft newsgroups, the server name is ... I can no longer login and give pswd for windows vista mail newsgroups. ... Can anyone suggest an equivalent for Windows Mail? ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)