Re: Web hosting

you suggest that your internal (AD DNS) name is other than your FQDN,
setting such specific entries to access _any_ server in your FQDN (www, ftp
mail, whatever) should be unnecessary unless you have, in some way, caused
DNS confusion.
"Maya" <Maya@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Don, you are right about the difference between with www and without www
> on
> your DNS record. What I did was I created a CNAME record " *mycompany.com
> pointing to mycompany.com", after that, everything works fine.
>
> Maya
>
> "Don Miller" wrote:
>
>> Hey, I've had this happen on a couple domains and it is usually related
>> the SMTP configuration.
>>
>> If I configure exchange to be the main email server for my company
>> (mycompany.com), when I run the Internet Connection Wizard and tell it to
>> set
>> up SMTP service for mycompany.com on mycompany.local, it creates a DNS
>> entry
>> for mycompany.com with an A record for the server.
>>
>> When the internal users try to go to www.mycompany.com, the DNS checks,
>> finds an internal record for mycompany.com, but no record for www, it
>> returns
>> an error.
>>
>> Its not something that is explained in the documentation with the server
>> and
>> the wizard makes the entry so you might not be aware that it was done.
>>

>> --
>> Windows XP MCP
>> CCNP
>>

>> "Maya" wrote:
>>
>> > I don't think anyone would make any mistake on the step of  Full DNS
>> > name for
>> > internal domain setup during the server setup. Because during the
>> > server
>> > setup phase, it gaves you so clear indication to ask you to use
>> > extention
>> > .local as internal domain. If you did once, I don't know why.
>> > I had problem with accessing public FQDN with my first installation, I
>> > thought I missed something during the installation, then I carefully
>> > followed
>> > each step to reinstall it again, the same problem showed up.
>> > I don't know what theory you based on  but in the real world it
>> > happens. It
>> > will be too long for me to explain to you what theory I based on over
>> > this
>> > email. I read a white paper called "Small IT Solution (version 1.1)"
>> > from
>> > Microsoft web site, it's very helpful. It explains why you should do
>> > the
>> > Post-Installation Configuration. If you are interested in, you can go
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=58514EAF-9EB2-4A79-A0FE-54608C268F10&displaylang=en
>> > Anyway, I appreciate the time you spent on our discussion and have a
>> > great
>> > weekend!
>> > Maya

  • Re: Urgent! New router and big disaster
    ... The SBS DNS server, running on ... its IP it means that your problem is now DNS. ... forward ports to it reliably in the router. ... I should have been more clear about internet connection.. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Cannot connect to RWW from home PC
    ... DNS stuff says your mail server is responding with reply that is not MS ... When we setup this new SBS2003 setup we installed without ISA as it does ... not seeing any problems anywhere regards internet or email - we also run ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Non-domain connection problem
    ... For some reason the DNS is persistent. ... connect new PC to the internet from the non-domain network: ... In server 2000 gpoedit.msc showed them but in SBS it is different. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: resolve incorrect IP from RRA server.
    ... dynamic address, 10.5.101.123 from DHCP server. ... This is because the addtional DNS records that get registered cause major problems with AD functionality, especially the additional IPs registered by RRAS. ... However, if you choose to keep RRAS on the DC, then you have to force DNS to only register the internal static interface, and no others. ... If it is the internet gateway, it is recommended to purchase an inexpensive, or cable/DLS router, or even better, a Cisco or similar firewall to perform the task, which if it is compromised by an internet attacker remotely, can further compromise the rest of the internal network. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)
  • Re: Urgent! New router and big disaster
    ... Even a single-NIC configuration should have ONLY the LAN IP of the server as ... Then you can run the CEICW or use the DNS console to enter ... forward ports to it reliably in the router. ... I should have been more clear about internet connection.. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)