Re: Why Upgrade?

Mainstream Support?
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifewin

Also, if you're shopping for new hardware, the discounts on being able to
purchase OEM versions of the product may make it more economical to upgrade
at the time of purchase rather than at a point in the future.

As already stated by Henry, there are considerable benefits and additional
features available including the ease of use of administrative wizards to
simplify common tasks and thus reduce the frequency of some external support
requirements.

Just my 2c worth...

"bernadou" <bernadou@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> I've been asked to determine which server software would be right for the
> following scenario:
> Small mortgage broker, stand alone business office
> 3 full time (9-5 M-F) Employees (owner/broker, 2 assistants)
> Computing Environment:
> 1 win2k server (5 year old hardware). Domain controller, file server,
> MSDE
> installed
> 4 XP Pro workstations (All 1+ years old)
> 3 Networked printers
> Web domain/email hosted externally.
>
> This business wishes to upgrade their server hardware. There are two
> client
> server applications running on their network. One of which is their
> primary
> day to day business application. Data is stored on the w2k server.
>
> This business does not have an IT person in house and pays hourly for
> administration and support. They do not report performance problems with
> their current server (800mhz PIII, 512mb Ram generic build desktop), but
> want
> to be proactive in upgrading the hardware to prevent business affecting
> downtime.
>
> During their server hardware shopping, they have been heavily advised to
> upgrade their server OS to Win2k3 Small Business Edition. They have
> already
> purchased the OS license for Win2k server which already exceeds their
> needs.
>
> My question is this. Given the requirements mentioned above, why would it
> be advantageous to upgrade?

  • Re: Upgrading to SBS 2003
    ... My idea was to upgrade the hardware and install a proper server OS. ... SBS is a server O/S, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: P4 Xeon compatibility with 5.0.5
    ... > I am looking to upgrade our current Pentium II 300 Mhz. server. ... Maybe you can find an old P3 desktop and transfer the special hardware ... what's mostly going bad on the old box are the hard drives and the ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)
  • Re: A difficult migration (2000 -> 2003)
    ... > I'm in the process of migrating a Windows 2000 domain whose old servers ... > due to lots of misconfigurations, hardware problems and a dead Exchange ... > server, so we tought it was better to create a completely new one instead ... > only to get a blue screen after rebooting; I never ran a direct upgrade (I ...