Re: SBS 4.5, Proxy Server 2 and W2K Client Running OE to access Hotmail

Your thread seems to be buried in another but hopefully you will see this.

Hotmail changed a while back and no longer allow direct access via HTTP
unless you upgrade to the "plus" ($) account. Even if you turn off proxy
you will probably get:

Could not connect to Hotmail as xxxxx@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Hotmail no longer allows email access via Outlook Express for free email
accounts.

Please visit http://www.hotmail.com/oe to learn more.

Account: 'Hotmail', Server:
'http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp', Protocol: HTTPMail,
Server Response: 'Access to Hotmail via Outlook and Outlook Express now
requires a subscription. Please sign up at http://upgrade.msn.com', Port: 0,
Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCCF6
----------------

As for installing proxy, it should NOT be done via the SBS console on 2K or
XP machines. You should simply install it from the server "mspclnt" share
(run setup.exe). Note that 2K/XP installs can have a bug where the
WSPCPL32.CPL file needs to be copied to the system32 directory manually
(simply copy the file from another PC).

-------------------

As for Win XP Windows Update issues with proxy 2.0 I have found the
following usually works:
1) Setup PC to use proxy server in Internet connections
2) At the command line, run "proxycfg -u". It should prompt back indicating
the proxy is 10.0.0.2 port 80 (assuming SBS 4.5 defaults).
3) Turn OFF automatic updates when manually updating - it interferes with
manual updates in my experience.
4) Run Windows update

-----------------
As for a proxy reference, the only one I know of is at:
http://proxyfaq.networkgods.com/default.htm

--
Allan Williams

"Bruce E. Breeding" <bebl.it@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> (1) Okay, I've seen all of the "you really should upgrade SBS" comments
> on
> this list. That simply is not an option for me right now.
> (2) I am receiving the following error when trying to access hotmail via
> Outlook Express:
> "Unable to poll for new messages on your HTTP server. Account: 'Hotmail',
> Server: 'http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp', Protocol:
> HTTPMail, Server Response: 'Proxy authentication required', Port: 0,
> Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC37"
> (3) Undoubtedly this is a problem related to MS Proxy Client and / or
> Proxy
> Server. On the W2K client in question, I deleted the Client Proxy, and
> attempted to reload it via telling the server to add software to the user
> on
> this particular client machine. I am receiving an error that suggests the
> proxy client software is not compatible with the operating system, and I'm
> wondering if some of the new "critical fixes" I've downloaded have "fixed"
> my machine to make it incompatible with Client Proxy.
> (4) I have been able to restore internet access to the client machine in
> question without Client Proxy (which I did not even know I could do). I
> suspect I will have to live without the OE access to hotmail.
> (5) As a positive byproduct of fiddling with Proxy Server (and the three
> subcomponents) on the server, my XP client machines were finally able to
> overcome the proxy problem they had been having, and now have been able to
> download all the patches to XP.
> (6) I have been trying to fully understand Proxy Server since 1999, when
> purchased and installed the SBS. I've re-read the documentation I've
> found
> on microsoft.com, but it doesn't tell me enough. Is there a known
> reference
> book that tells me everything I want to know about Proxy Server 2.0
> (running
> under SBS 4.5)?
>
> Any other suggestions (besides upgrading the SBS)?
>
> Bruce

  • Re: Please enter password for HTTP proxy
    ... Web Proxy log: WEBEXTDyyyymmdd.log ... This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ... |> on to the SBS server that hosts the ISA. ... |> sure the problematic clients also have Firewall Client installed. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: Proxy requires authentication
    ... problem where it is being asked to authenticate to the proxy server. ... sure the problematic client also have Firewall Client installed. ... | Thread-Topic: Proxy requires authentication ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: ISA Server Problems, please help
    ... The All access rule for SBS Internet ... Web Proxy and/or ... > To accommodate the linux SecureNAT clients you should create a new Client ... ISA Server denies the specified Uniform Resource Locator. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: SBS 4.5, Proxy Server 2 and W2K Client Running OE to access Hotmail
    ... I am successfully sync-ing with hotmail via Outlook Express on one of my ... clients attached to my SBS 4.5. ... My current problem is that one client can do it, ... Even if you turn off proxy ...
    (microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz)
  • Re: Need to Turn Off Proxy Server in SBS 4.5
    ... client machines (it is done by default when you install an SBS client)? ... IE's web proxy settings are disabled like you said, ... Server is internal only...no outside web or ftp serving. ...
    (microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz)