Re: Why Upgrade?

Look at the feature set and decide for yourself.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/sbs/evaluation/overview/default.mspx

--
Henry Craven {SBS-MVP}
CI Information Technology

"bernadou" <bernadou@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> I've been asked to determine which server software would be right for
> the
> following scenario:
> Small mortgage broker, stand alone business office
> 3 full time (9-5 M-F) Employees (owner/broker, 2 assistants)
> Computing Environment:
> 1 win2k server (5 year old hardware). Domain controller, file server,
> MSDE
> installed
> 4 XP Pro workstations (All 1+ years old)
> 3 Networked printers
> Web domain/email hosted externally.
>
> This business wishes to upgrade their server hardware. There are two
> client
> server applications running on their network. One of which is their
> primary
> day to day business application. Data is stored on the w2k server.
>
> This business does not have an IT person in house and pays hourly for
> administration and support. They do not report performance problems
> with
> their current server (800mhz PIII, 512mb Ram generic build desktop),
> but want
> to be proactive in upgrading the hardware to prevent business
> affecting
> downtime.
>
> During their server hardware shopping, they have been heavily advised
> upgrade their server OS to Win2k3 Small Business Edition. They have
> already
> purchased the OS license for Win2k server which already exceeds their
> needs.
>
> My question is this. Given the requirements mentioned above, why
> would it
> be advantageous to upgrade?

  • Re: Selling the boss on a "publish to the web" Access app?
    ... Go to www.officelive.com, this free small business edition is only available to North America customers right now however. ... Are the users app specific where certains users can log into that app or have rights to it but not others? ... The person coming in the door that wants to sell new carpets or new desks or a new paint job on the walls or even a new computer has to justify that they're going to save the company money. ... I suppose you could bring in a whole bunch of IT people, and go through all enormous expenses and dangers of security of setting up a web host server. ...
    (comp.databases.ms-access)
  • Re: SBS2003 Partitioning
    ... It doesn't matter how small the business is it is a bad practice to sell a workstation for use as a server. ... Businesses come to rely on a server very quickly and within a matter of months may no longer be able to function effectively if the server goes down. ... There is no real advantage to moving the page file from the system partition in a small server with one drive/array, and yes it's a good idea to keep Exchange and SQL on separate partitions but given the size of drive you intend on using probably two partitions, at most three, is your best option. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Fault Tolerence on SBS2003 Prem.
    ... > Too often this topic is approached without defining any scale or costs. ... There is always a compromise involved in any business ... > server equipment that improved the recovery time from an annual event from ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: CEICW fails at firewall config
    ... > through Remote Web Workplace on a Windows Small Business Server 2003-based ... > + You connect to a Remote Web Workplace on a Windows Small Business ... you cannot install Firewall Client on the ISA Server. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: Cannot fix "Companyweb" Intranet... Please Help...
    ... 2003 with the Server Tools component. ... So the other customers who visit our Newsgroup ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... Rename Program Files\Microsoft Windows Small Business Server ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)