Re: Can SBS 4.5a and SBS 2003 Exist on Same Network

with respect, i am totally legal.

if i have 2 non-upgrade licenses for the sbs's, exactly how am i violating
some microsoft policy.

if they were on two physical networks, it would be certainly allowable. so
why not on 2 using the same physical network.

joel

"SuperGumby [SBS MVP]" <not@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> yes, it actually has to do with the base limitations of SBS.
>
> Two SBS's cannot exist in the same domain. MS showed some foresight in
> implementing SBS2003 and allow an SBS 2003 server to exist for a period of
> time (I thought it was 14 days, but other indications are 7) with another
> SBS in the same domain.
>
> There are circumstances where Joel's implementation of two SBS servers on
> the same ethernet segment do not invalidate his license. I hope he is
> aware of this and is within licensing bounds. Unfortunately, his comment
> that data is easily accessible between the domains suggests this is not
> the case.
>
> "Joel Robinson" <joel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> same subnet works.
>>
>> server 1 192.168.0.2 sbs2003 atg01
>>
>> server 2 192.168.0.6 sbs4.5 atg1
>>
>> can easily access data from either server.
>>
>> working for months. no issues.
>>

>> "Henry Craven [SBS-MVP]" <IUnknown@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>> Depends upon what you mean by "the same network".
>>>
>>> 2 SBServers can co-exist on the same wire as long as they are on
>>> different Subnets and don't see each other.
>>> SBS2003 can co-exist with another SBServer for 7 days as a means to
>>> Migration and Data Transfer.
>>>
>>> Depending on the size of the SBS4.5 domain you may want to look at a
>>> Swing Migration www.sbsmigration.com/
>>>
>>> --
>>> Henry Craven {SBS-MVP}
>>> CI Information Technology
>>>
>>> "Allan C" <proven_solutions@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

  • Re: 2 NIC SBS2003R2 LAN/WAN Firewall Router Connection Failure
    ... I have to admit to a preference for VMWare Server which can only be ... I've asked the other SBS MVP's to comment on the current status of SBS ... I connected directly to the router and changed its LAN side subnet ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Domain Controller Down
    ... licenses. ... Server and the affected computers. ... Run NETDIAG and DCDIAG on the SBS ... The DNS server for this DC does not support dynamic DNS. ...
    (microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000)
  • Re: New install into existing subnet
    ... AND it sounds like you're new to SBS. ... How to install Small Business Server 2003 in an existing Active Directory ... there's no reason for you to implement a new subnet. ... If the existing network was SBS you might want to look at ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: 2 NIC SBS2003R2 LAN/WAN Firewall Router Connection Failure
    ... 'basics' of SBS are still there. ... Eriq also mentions Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 R2 ... I connected directly to the router and changed its LAN side subnet ... Clients can see the Internet. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: logon fails
    ... Thank you for posting in the SBS newsgroup. ... license information on your SBS server. ... there is a mention of maximum number of licenses number. ... as well, because it is still connecting to, and using resources from, the ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)