Re: SQL Server 6.5 - What is Most Current of SBS That is Compatible?

The application is written in Visual FoxPro 5.
There is a combination of stored procedures and calls from within the
application to access the SQL 6.5 database.
We do not have access to some of the source code that generates the calls
and the manufacturer no longer supports that version of the application and
will not release the source code.

--

Regards,

Allan C
"Steve Foster [SBS MVP]" <steve.foster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Allan C wrote:
>
> > One of our clients who is currently running SBS 4.5a must continue to
use
> > SQL Server 6.5 due to the fact that one of their applications does not
> work
> > properly with SQL 7.0 and above. Source code is not available for
certain
> > parts of the application. I do not have access to the details of the
> > incompatibilities.
> >
> > We are worried about the long term stabilility of the server hardware
> that
> > they have been using since '99 and are beginning to research purchasing
> > new server.
> > My question is whether SQL Server 6.5 can be installed on top of the
> newest
> > Small Business Server?
> > We want to * replace * the SQL Server that would be included with the
> > newest SBS.
> > Will this work without issues?
>
> I think you're running the last version of SBS to support SQL6.5.
>
> SQL6.5 is close to being 3 versions behind (7.0, 2000, 2005 [coming]), and
> your client really needs to get to grips with moving this application
> forward to a more recent version of SQL Server.
>
> *IF* the application is reasonably well-written in the first place, it
> should be possible to move the SQL side of things forward without
> impacting any client-side code.
>
> --
> Steve Foster [SBS MVP]

  • Re: how do I change the user install wizard to create user folder in different location?
    ... Les Connor [SBS Community Member] ... >> Regarding SQL and Sharepoint, ... >> file where I'm suppose to register the SHAREPOINT instance of SQL Server ... another install which is on just Windows 2003 server and SQL2000 ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: SQL service pack 4 & SBS 2003 premimum version
    ... Thank you for posting in the SBS newsgroup. ... SBS SharePoint with SQL ... whether SQL server is being installed or not. ... it will install the sixteenth instance of MSDE ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Outlook for MAPI on SBS
    ... I wound up looking at another thread here on installing SQL 2005 which I ... I have noticed something interesting here in SBS ... agent from the SBS Monitoring Agent to the 2005 agent instance. ... Is there an easy way to set up notifications from SQL Server ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Outlook for MAPI on SBS
    ... I wound up looking at another thread here on installing SQL 2005 which I ... particularly 2005 on SBS. ... agent from the SBS Monitoring Agent to the 2005 agent instance. ... Is there an easy way to set up notifications from SQL Server ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Access 2007->SQL Server2005 "connection was forcibly closed",G
    ... I moved every table I was able to move to the SQL ... closed connections - but all of these errors are in the version which used ... the SQL Server 2000 and everything worked ... communication between ODBC (OLEDB and Native Client, ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.connect)