Re: sbs2003 licensing problems

This usually relates to the fact that a Member server has not had
Licensing correctly installed, not the SBServer.

As file and print access to member servers is covered by the SBS CALs,
open the licensing on the member server and set the licenses to the
number of SBS CALs you've installed.

How to configure licensing on an additional Windows server in an SBS
network
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=327644

As to losing the licenses settings, a few possible causes for this:

- Lack of disk space on the system partition.
- Low Memory on the Server
- The server believes that there may be a security issue with Active
Directory.
- Antivirus scanning or corrupting the file.

I believe the most common is; - Antivirus scanning or corrupting the
file.

- Re add the CALs to the SBServer.
- Make sure you exclude: <%System%>\system32\licstr.cpa
and the <%System%>\system32\lls directory from Scanning.

Also, make a backup of the license with the License Backup Wiz.

--
Henry Craven {SBS-MVP}
CI Information Technology

"Tom F" <TomF@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> 1st problem:
>
> "WARNING:
> LICENSE USAGE FOR PRODUCT LICENSED IN PER SERVER MODE IS NEARING THE
> MAXIMUM
> NUMBER OF LICENSES PURCHASED -- CONSULT THE APPLICATION EVENT LOG OR
> LICENSING FROM THE ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS FOLDERS FOR MORE INFORMATION."
>
> received on console of SBS2003 system that has 75 client licenses
> installed.
>
> also in application event log Event ID 202 "" The product Wintdows NT
> Server
> is out of licenses. ....
>
> Checked License Manager, we have 75 liceneses only 45 appear to be in
> use?
>
> Also, a 2nd problem, earlier this week the client licenses disappeared
> from
> the license manager. I had to re-install them. I then set up a back
> file for
> them. MS says the license store may be come corrupt but gives no
> reason or
> causal events. Has anybody experienced this?

  • Re: IIS Licensing Issue
    ... this is coming from a W2K member server. ... > Thank you for posting to the SBS Newsgroup. ... it is probably the one actually out of licenses. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Server Activity
    ... real need to be logged into our server but for some reason he's been ... Pertaining to your SBS CALs? ... You just may not have enough licenses. ... that means he's created himself another way into the server. ...
  • Re: Server licensing problem
    ... You noticed that the total CAL is 10 but maximum usage is 15. ... The Licenses console displays the total number of CALs that have ... connected since the last server restart. ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: logon fails
    ... Thank you for posting in the SBS newsgroup. ... license information on your SBS server. ... there is a mention of maximum number of licenses number. ... as well, because it is still connecting to, and using resources from, the ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Terminal Services confusion...
    ... performance issue to run bot LS and TS on the same server. ... are Windows XP, with only 2 of us running Vista. ... TS licenses. ... only have the 50 per-user 2003 TS CALs. ...