Re: SQL Server 6.5 - What is Most Current of SBS That is Compatible?

As Steve says, it belongs in the Museum along with DOS and NT4.

INF: SQL Server 6.5, SQL Server 7.0, and MSDE 1.0 Support on Windows
Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810391

However, you may want to think about running it in a Virtual Machine (
Virtual Server ) if it's vital to the business until such time as you
can have it upgraded/replaced.

If you want to upgrade to SBS 2K ( Already almost out of date itself )
read:
Basic Guidelines for Installing SQL Server Version 6.5 or 7.0
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;192710

--
Henry Craven {SBS-MVP}
CI Information Technology

"Allan C" <proven_solutions@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> One of our clients who is currently running SBS 4.5a must continue to
> use
> SQL Server 6.5 due to the fact that one of their applications does not
> work
> properly with SQL 7.0 and above. Source code is not available for
> certain
> parts of the application. I do not have access to the details of the
> incompatibilities.
>
> We are worried about the long term stabilility of the server hardware
> that
> they have been using since '99 and are beginning to research
> purchasing a
> new server.
> My question is whether SQL Server 6.5 can be installed on top of the
> newest
> Small Business Server?
> We want to * replace * the SQL Server that would be included with
> the
> newest SBS.
> Will this work without issues?
>
> TIA.

> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Allan C

  • Re: sql 2005 licenses - dual processor server hosting virtual machine
    ... You would need a separate SQL Server and OS license for each virtual machine. ... Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition, in all supported languages2 1 10 ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.setup)
  • Re: Software Activation - A Straight Question
    ... various environments are sandboxed on VM and even a virtual domain with ... Exchange, SQL Server, Win2k3 Server, and a few guests in order to ... Enterprise is the only edition that allows you to run in a virtual machine, ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
  • SQL Server performance on virtual machines...
    ... When running SQL Server,, in a virtual machine using really nice ... hardware RAID and piles of memory, would you expect the performance to be ... SQL Server might not be configured correctly. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.server)
  • Re: sql 2005 licenses - dual processor server hosting virtual machine
    ... I want to use virtual machine because I want to virtualize my Production environment. ... I'll use my only big server to host some virtual machines for the production system and some virtual machines for my development environment. ... We are a quite small company so I need to have a production environment to manage email, sharepoint, domain controller for 10 employees. ... You would need a separate SQL Server and OS license for each virtual machine. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.setup)
  • Re: SQL Server 6.5 - What is Most Current of SBS That is Compatible?
    ... You have twigged my interest with the idea of a 'virtual server'. ... > Basic Guidelines for Installing SQL Server Version 6.5 or 7.0 ... > Melbourne SBS Users Group ... >> SQL Server 6.5 due to the fact that one of their applications does not ...
    (microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz)