Re: SQL Server 6.5 - What is Most Current of SBS That is Compatible?
- From: "Steve Foster [SBS MVP]" <steve.foster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2021 19:22:09 -0700
Allan C wrote:
One of our clients who is currently running SBS 4.5a must continue to usework
SQL Server 6.5 due to the fact that one of their applications does not
thatproperly with SQL 7.0 and above. Source code is not available for certain parts of the application. I do not have access to the details of the incompatibilities.
We are worried about the long term stabilility of the server hardware
they have been using since '99 and are beginning to research purchasing anewest
My question is whether SQL Server 6.5 can be installed on top of the
Small Business Server? We want to * replace * the SQL Server that would be included with the newest SBS. Will this work without issues?
I think you're running the last version of SBS to support SQL6.5.
SQL6.5 is close to being 3 versions behind (7.0, 2000, 2005 [coming]), and your client really needs to get to grips with moving this application forward to a more recent version of SQL Server.
*IF* the application is reasonably well-written in the first place, it should be possible to move the SQL side of things forward without impacting any client-side code.
-- Steve Foster [SBS MVP] --------------------------------------- MVPs do not work for Microsoft. Please reply only to the newsgroups. .
- Prev by Date: SBS 2003 Memory Error
- Next by Date: Re: sbs2003 licensing problems
- Previous by thread: SQL Server 6.5 - What is Most Current of SBS That is Compatible?
- Next by thread: Re: SQL Server 6.5 - What is Most Current of SBS That is Compatible?