Re: SQL Server 6.5 - What is Most Current of SBS That is Compatible?

Allan C wrote:

One of our clients who is currently running SBS 4.5a must continue to use
SQL Server 6.5 due to the fact that one of their applications does not
work
properly with SQL 7.0 and above. Source code is not available for certain
parts of the application. I do not have access to the details of the
incompatibilities.

We are worried about the long term stabilility of the server hardware
that
they have been using since '99 and are beginning to research purchasing a
new server.
My question is whether SQL Server 6.5 can be installed on top of the
newest
Small Business Server?
We want to  * replace *  the SQL Server that would be included with the
newest SBS.
Will this work without issues?

I think you're running the last version of SBS to support SQL6.5.

SQL6.5 is close to being 3 versions behind (7.0, 2000, 2005 [coming]), and your client really needs to get to grips with moving this application forward to a more recent version of SQL Server.

*IF* the application is reasonably well-written in the first place, it should be possible to move the SQL side of things forward without impacting any client-side code.

--
Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
---------------------------------------

  • Re: Sharepoint Home Page Search Missing
    ... Good work, Steve. ... > I had to check the box in sharepoint central admin to allow full text ... >> The Full-Text Search services is started on SQL Server ... >> Les Connor [SBS MVP] ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: more SQL things
    ... Maybe BooBoo is reffering to this... ... Javier [SBS MVP] ... > There is -no- SQL Server client as such. ... > From the SQL Server admin Console you can do certain MS Access like ...
    (microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000)
  • Re: sbs2003 standard sql server ?
    ... Les Connor [SBS MVP] ... > sql server built into sbs2003 standard that isnt running? ... > Everything appears to be working, no errors in the logs. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: sbs 2003 and SQL Server
    ... When I am trying to register it, if I use the windows authentication ... message that the login failed because "not associated with a trusted SQL server connection. ... Steve Foster [SBS MVP] ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: SBS2003 Sharepoint Limitations
    ... size of the Sharepoint database. ... improvement you get by upgrading to full SQL Server is support for full- ... -- Owen Williams (SBS MVP) ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)