Re: Raid 1 Fix

The cost of a hardware raid card is fairly minimal it might be worth looking
into as it will make things easier for you.

"TW" <trevw69@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> The same happened to me (on SBS2000) I reactivated the drive as a
> temporary measure until the new one was delivered then swapped it. I
> couldn't really advise as to whether this is a good idea or not, but my
> thinking was a suspect drive as a mirror is better than no drive at all.
>
> I then put the suspect drive into a machine at home and it completely
> failed a couple of months later.
>
> Hope this helps you make your decision.
>
> Trev.
>
> "Mike Bevington" <leaffan8@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> Thanks
>>
>> That knowledge base article is for windows 2000 Does it apply to windows
>> 2003 as well?
>>
>> Would you try to reactive the drive first?
>>

>> "Cris Hanna [SBS-MVP]" <crisnospamhanna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote in message news:eAxKesRGFHA.2824@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>> essentially you break the mirror (Raid 1) The second drive becomes the
>>> primary, you get the new disc, install it, and recreate the mirror
>>>
>>> The following KB will get you started and then see the other KBs at the
>>> bottom for more help
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302969
>>>
>>> --
>>> Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]
>>> ---------------------------------------
>>> Please reply only to the newsgroup and not to me directly so that
>>> everyone can benefit from the information
>>> "Mike Bevington" <leaffan8@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

  • Re: Reinstall or restore with different disk config
    ... I use a Dell with the RAID 1 on th eonboard and it seems quite healthy but I have never done the pull the disk out test yet. ... One thing to do maybe is to disable write caching on the drives (see in properties of the drive itself in Windows) you may or may not have this option depending on driver. ... The boot.ini change relates to the fat that the path specifies a drive and partition to boot from - if the drive specified is off-line then the boot.ini path is invalid so you need to add a redundant entry pointing to the second mirror drive to start from. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Backups
    ... I am running windows 2003 servers using a BlueARC SAN ... Double-Take is still in business and offers an excellent stand-alone ... the mirror was used to restore it. ...
  • Re: cant get at my documents on old drive
    ... In herseem.206meh@xxxxxxxxxxxx herseem wrote: ... > the mirror card doesn't automatically expand the ... > size of the mirrored space to fit the drives available, ... > work but left windows not behaving quite correctly. ...
  • Re: Windows 2003 Mirroring
    ... Microsoft MVP - Windows Server Networking ... >> Just because you drives are mirrored, does not make the other disk ... >> because the mirror is done before Windows is even installed, ... >>> successfully it did not boot - it asked me to hit a key to boot from CD ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.setup)
  • RE: How to start from mirrordrive on my server ?
    ... 167045 Reasons why Windows NT does not boot from a shadow mirror drive ... 223188 How to restore the system/boot drive letter in Windows ... > The problem now is that my server does not boot from the mirrordisk. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server)