Re: Redundency for SBS 2003

Hi Eddie.

Mal is right that you can have a Win2K3 Server in an SBS Domain as a
member Server and Replica Domain Controller, ( Which will consume 1 SBS
Device CAL in authenticating to the SBServer ) and the SBS CALs will
cover all File and Print Access to that server. However, to get Exchange
redundancy you'd need an Exchange Cluster, which SBS doesn't support. -
All is not lost however, Software Assurance Allows you to have a Cold
Spare ( Clone Offline SBServer ) and as Exchange 2003 has the recovery
store. you can bring that Server Online in place of your Failed
SBServer, have the clients working, restore the Exchange data from
backup to the Recovery store, and merge the mailboxes in real time while
the users are online.

Failover support in SBS is a big topic, and solutions ( Raid Arrays,
Mirrors, Cold Servers ) differ depending upon the risk factor.

If you need a Real Time Failover System then SBS is not the product for
that. You need full versions of Windows Server, Exchange SQL etc and
create a cluster.

--
Henry Craven {SBS-MVP}
CI Information Technology

"Edward Jones (Eddie)" <EdwardJonesEddie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote in message
>I am new to the systems administration arena and have been thrown into
>the
> fire. We currently have 4 servers running Windows SBS2003, 2003 Server
> Std,
> 2000 Server, and 2003 Appliance Ed.(NAS). I need to allow for exchange
> and AD
> redundency in case our SBS goes down. I read in a earlier post that i
> do not
> need additional CALs:
>
> You need no CALS for the Server 2003 box in this scenario, you need
> only a
> license for W2K3 server. The W2K3 server will run just fine without
> the
> SBS box. On most sites, a second server is of limited use when the
> SBS box
> fails, as you loose DNS, Exchange, etc.
>
> Mal Osborne
> MCSE MVP Mensa
>
> Can i set up my W2k3 server as a backup DNS and Exchange server and AD
> get replication data from the SBS? If so what are the licensing
> issues. Any
> whitepapers would help as well. Thank you for your help. Please excuse
> my
> ignorance trying to learn at warp speed.

  • Re: So why SBS?
    ... Public folders will be in the next version.. ... The sad part of most of us is that we haven't even tried or practiced a backup/restore and we freak out over a 'single" SBS box when we haven't even tried to restore it from a harddrive. ... Exchange seems to mix its words and titles, the global/generic use of POP and SMTP for just about every Exchange function is dumb, MailEnable understands post office protocol and simple mail transfer protocol in a "meaningfull" way. ... The standard profiles in Server are quite effective assuming you add new users to the correct account in the first place and your note running more than 1 file server. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Easy to use second 2000 Server for Exchange?
    ... Existing Exchange 2000 server - therefore have the CALs - so no new ones are ... Frank McCallister SBS MVP ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: So why SBS?
    ... Public folders will be in the next version.. ... If SBS isn't for you...that's fine. ... Mailenable is an example of a freeware or pay for extra's, mail server. ... It is infinitly simpler to configure than Exchange once installed. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Email for second domain
    ... The Microsoft Exchange MTA Stacks service is normally disabled on Exchange 2003 Servers on SBS 2003. ... You can safely ignore the MTA warning messages on the SBS 2003 server. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Adding Dedicated Exchange 2003 Server to SBS 2003 Network
    ... You do not need Server CALs, Exchange CALs or SQL CALs for secondary versions of the products that are part of your core SBS. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)