Re: Problem runnnig NT service after upgrading to SBS2003

hey Stephen, you've opened a can of worms with this one.

I got interested and decided to run up a clean install of NT4ws, it has
'stumbled' during the process of upgrading to current patch levels, not
allowing the installation of an IE patch (KB 867801, MS04-025).

I'll get around to your question ASAP, which I believe is related to an
account's privelage to 'run as a service'.

The short answer is:
NT4 is a dead OS, support for it was extended beyond normal MS 'product
life' structures but even the 'extended period' has now expired. The
software developers you are depending upon are showing themselves to be
ridiculously 'behind' by not supporting the application on a current OS. You
should look for an alternative method to supply this function.

"Stephen Conlin" <sconlin55@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
b.3228@xxxxxxxxxxx">news:leu4e.3699$4b.3228@xxxxxxxxxxx
> It was a clean installation to new hardware, followed by manual migration
> of
> about 10 clients. For the NT Workstations, I logged off the old domain (by
> temporarily connecting to a workgroup) and then connected to the new
> domain.
> That gave me new user profiles, which I then manually reconfigured. For XP
> workstations, I used exmerge to transfer exchange data and file and
> settings
> transfer wizard to transfer profile info.
>
> "SuperGumby [SBS MVP]" <not@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> How did you accomplish the upgrade?
>>
>> inplace upgrade of existing system? clean install onto new hardware? some
>> form of domain migration?
>>
>> "Stephen Conlin" <sconlin55@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> b.117@xxxxxxxxxxx">news:sGn4e.3694$4b.117@xxxxxxxxxxx
>> >I recently upgraded a SBS4.5 network to SBS2003. There are 2 NT4
>> >workstation
>> > units that are in the network to run specialty applications. The
>> > applications run as a service on the NT Workstations and must be set up
> so
>> > that they are logged on with the domain/administrator account (in the
>> > service startup properties). They worked fine with SBS4.5. After
> migrating
>> > the NT Workstations to SBS2003, when I try to start the services with
> the
>> > domain/administrator account, I get an error message saying that the
>> > account
>> > cannot be found or is invalid. The account is clearly okay because I
>> > use
>> > it
>> > to log on to the NT Workstation in the first place. Its just that I
> can's
>> > start a service using that account. The service starts fine with the
>> > local/administrator account, but not with the domain/administrator
>> > account.
>> > Both Workstations have SP6a and I installed the activedirectory client
> on
>> > them, but with no luck. Does anyone anve any idea what is going on?
>> >
>> > Stephen

  • Re: Problem runnnig NT service after upgrading to SBS2003
    ... It was a clean installation to new hardware, ... For the NT Workstations, I logged off the old domain (by ... > form of domain migration? ... >> that they are logged on with the domain/administrator account (in the ...
    (microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz)
  • Re: Migrating from SBS2K to 2003
    ... you might get more response in the SBS 2003 newsgroup. ... Significant learning curve, so for one migration of 6 workstations, I ... It is not a big network so doing a clean install by hand with exporting ...
    (microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz)
  • Re: Migrating from SBS2K to 2003
    ... developed this process just to fit this type of migration. ... Significant learning curve, so for one migration of 6 workstations, I would ... We have a SBS2K network configured with a W2K TS and about 6 workstations. ... It is not a big network so doing a clean install by hand with exporting ...
    (microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz)
  • Re: Rollback Solution / Password Reset
    ... Mike Davidson Ireland ... environment where workstations are loosing connection to the Domain. ... the server is throwing the account off the domain. ... Instead of the website you're using, I suggest to use OEx (Outlook Express ...
  • Re: New Domain Name
    ... Danny wrote: ... Presently my workstations log on to mydomain.ca and ... transfer Files and Settings to new profile? ... account of user that utilizes this particular machine. ...