Re: Upgrade to gigabyte NIC?

From: Henry Craven [SBS-MVP] (IUnknown_at_Dot.Nyet)
Date: 02/18/05

Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 21:25:30 +1100

Personally I wouldn't be rolling out a Gigabit network for that.
But It's your LAN.
Replace the NIC. Check it's installed and responding.
Configure It with the same IP Address and settings, check that it is top
of the binding order, rerun the ICW and Remote Access Wizard., check the
logs and address any errors.
If the system barks about registration ( it Shouldn't ) ting MS and
re-authenticate.

--
Henry Craven {SBS-MVP}
CI Information Technology
> SBS2k - network traffic is not heavy overall but problem arises
> through (a) large volume of attachments over network (digital
> dictation) and (b) a networked practice management system which tries
> synchronising a 100mb database at intervals & has to do that as
> quickly as possible to avoid clashes & corruption!, hence looking at
> making network faster.
> Thanks
>
> "Henry Craven [SBS-MVP]" <IUnknown@Dot.Nyet> wrote in message
>> What version of SBS ?
>> How heavy is that network traffic that you see that as the bottleneck
>> ?
>>
>> --
>> Henry Craven. {SBS-MVP}
>> =====================================
>> For the fastest response Post to the appropriate News
>> Group with as much detail of the Problem Space, Error
>> Message and Environment as possible:
>>
>> News Server : news.microsoft.com
>>
>> SBS 4/4.5 : microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz
>> NOTE: Support for NT4 SBS4/4.5 Ceases Dec 31 2004
>>
>> SBS 2000 : microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000
>> SBS 2003 : microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs
>> =====================================
>>
>> "Al" <aadfvadvd@adfsfdfdfvb.fdsdf> wrote in message
>>> Existing server has an on-board 10/100 NIC for the main network
>>> (10.0.0.2) and a PCI card NIC for the adsl router connection (on a
>>> different subnet). I would quite like to upgrade our network to use
>>> gigabyte 1000 rather than 100 speed.  I can simply install a
>>> 10/100/1000 switch/hub and that will outo detect & run at 100
>>> meantime.  However how do I upgrade to a 1000 NIC on the server - is
>>> it as simple as plugging in a new NIC & then altering the nic's ip
>>> addresses? - what problems could be hit?
>>> Anyone actually done this?
>>> Thanks

Relevant Pages