Re: Pop3 Email disapperaing

From: Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] (lanwench_at_heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com)
Date: 10/01/04

Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 09:36:50 -0400

Gary Karasik wrote:
>> .....and SMTP is *free*. :-)
>
> My ISP charges $15/month for a backup account that collects mail when
> the server is down, so SMTP is not completely free.

You don't absolutely have to have a "backup" for your mail anyway - most
SMTP servers will automatically retry delivery for X days. But I do like
having a backup server, so if the ISP won't do it for free, I have people
sign up for dyndns.org's MailHop service, which is about $20/year.

> GaryK
>
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> message news:OdISMtzpEHA.324@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>> Gary Karasik wrote:
>>> How many POP accounts do you have. The SBS4.5 MS/POP3 connector
>>> suffered from a bug that corrupted the database and resulted in
>>> problems like you are describing if you had more than (IIRC) 15
>>> recipients set up. I don't know if that same bug survived into
>>> SBS2K, but the symptoms are those you've described.
>>>
>>> There are several 3rd-party POP3 connectors, among them PopBeamer
>>> ($150) and PopCon (don't know the price). PopBeamer is the most, um,
>>> POPular.
>>
>> Ouch.
>> .....and SMTP is *free*. :-)
>>

>>> GaryK
>>> "Cris Hanna [SBS-MVP]"
>>> <crishannanospam@computingnospampossibilities.net> wrote in message
>>> Did you set up the pop3 connector by running the CEICW wizard??
>>>
>>> Is this a global catchall pop3 account or individual accounts for
>>> each person
>>> "Cormac Maher" <cmaher@pembroketechnology.com> wrote in message
>>> Help please,
>>> Hi, I have and SBS2000 server using the Pop3 mailboxes for
>>> collecting mail from my ISP, irregularly random mailboxes
>>> download the mails fom the ISP (I have checked this with
>>> test mail) but does not deliver to the relevant exchange
>>> user (I have checked and witnessed this with test mails,
>>> these mails do not get bounced back to their relevant
>>> senders), this has happened occasionally over the past few
>>> months.
>>> I have applied SP3 and fix 824282 (September 2003 Exchange
>>> 2000 Server Post-Service Pack 3 Rollup), unfortunately
>>> this does not seem to have cured the problem.
>>> I have resolved the problem in the past by stopping and
>>> starting exchange services but have never managed to
>>> recover the missing mails, last week one very important
>>> user lost all mails for 5 days, I badly need to retrieve
>>> these mails can anyone please help or direct me in the
>>> right direction, I have checked Bad Mail folder ,and
>>> queues but find none awaiting delivery....help help

Relevant Pages