Re: Access 2000 Runtime Install-on-Demand

From: Chris Mills (phad_nospam_at_cleardotnet.nz)
Date: 07/28/04

Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 14:43:26 +1200

It sounds to me maybe like some feature of your "Wise install", not Access
Runtime.

"Wise install" is usually associated with Sagekey scripts. My understanding is
that the scripts are just as or even more important than Wise.

My experience is limited to Office Dev and PDW. In that case, Access runtime
is installed under it's own Setup, and there is NO "Install-on-Demand" issue.
(brave statement, I mean that I know of)

"new UserID attempts to run my program " reminds me of a lot of a heartache I
had. AFAIK the install MUST be run and completed under "Administrator" (for a
user with Admin privileges you take your risk). Also, A2k Runtime (or your
app, I can't tell which) requires a re-boot even though some Windows like XP
are trained to suppress it. So do a reboot anyhow, under Administrator, and
before you consider an installation complete, or go on to any other issue.

Chris

"Jean" <Jean@NoSpam.com> wrote in message
> I have developed an Access 2000 program that is distributed to a wide
customer base that may or may not already have Access installed. My
installation program (Wise Installation System) determines if Access is
already installed then installs the Access 2000 runtime if it is needed.

> My problem appears when a new UserID attempts to run my program for the
first time. Access immediately looks for the Runtime installation source
before it can continue. If the user clicks OK after each attempt to locate the
installation source (it does this 3 times) my program continues and seems to
function fine.

> I don't understand what Access is looking for but I'm thinking it's related
to the "Install-on-Demand" feature. Does anyone have any idea how to install
the runtime so it does not try to install files on the first use? Also, how
can I determine the files/features the "Install-on-Demand" is looking for?