Re: Help needed w/Runtime, XP, and "Can't be started." error

From: Chris Mills (phad_nospam_at_cleardotnet.nz)
Date: 07/20/04

Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2021 20:57:59 +1200

> It turns out to be an XP permissions and/or policy problem, not a
> SageKey issue. We solved it temporaily by giving the user full Admin
> rights.

Sorry, that was not clear. It is well-known, at least from my trials and
tribulations, that Admin permissions are necessary if not Administrator
itself, in order to install MS-Access applications correctly. Possibly ALL
applications on NT technology, which XP is a derivative of.

If you don't, and if you are using Microsoft's PDW to install an Access
runtime application (2k or XP), it may install the first part successfully and
may fall over thereafter. For instance, if you signon as another user it may
then offer to de-install, when HELL you are still trying to install it? This
is associated with, in Windows XP, that a PDW install for A2k or AXP REQUIRES
a reboot to complete the install, but WindowsXP (bless it) kindly suppresses
the needed reboot! You'd hope that the Windows and Office divisions of
Microsoft (or PSS "managers" like Rita Nikas) would talk to each other and
actually take some interest in resulting issues, but this is demonstrably not
the case.

Tony says:
"But this isn't a hardware problem. It's an OS or permissions problem
of some sort."

Correct. It's a "Microsoft" problem. Microsoft is represented to users by PSS
(pronounced PISS). PSS consists, not of Microsoft but of individual employees
with a collective responsibility. Rita Nikas claims to be one of the managers.
I rest my case.

Chris