Re: Access runtime packaging error

From: Chris Mills (phad_nospam_at_cleardotnet.nz)
Date: 05/24/04

    Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 15:33:53 +1200

    (Access XP)

    Thanks for your kind words Myles. As far as I can see all developers are in the same boat of lack-of-concern by Microsoft. Here's my own classic.

    I purchased Office XP Developer just a week or so before it became obsolete, that is, it was or should have been by this time up to whatever SP.

    What did I receive? I received the very original version! I complained to the supplier and made a right fuss, but eventually got nowhere.
    "Why can't you download the patches?"
    "I can, but I want it on CD and thought I was buying current software".
    "You can purchase the CD's!" ("You can purchase our bug fixes!")

    I might as well not have bothered. If I distributed KNOWN old buggy software to my own customers (and god knows I have my own bugs), I could be prosecuted for negligence.
    -----
    Anyway, never mind. I'm a developer and should be able to do these things. But what about my customers, non-techo's? Are they expected to receive my latest s/w, replete with instructions to contact Microsoft site to download patches to Access? Before they can even run it?

    I don't think so. That's why I had to go to extraordinary lengths to work out how to apply the patches BEFOREHAND. To fix Microsoft faults in my package...

    Chris