Re: Office Access 2003 Developer Extensions Error

From: Mike Wachal (mikewa_at_online.microsoft.com)
Date: 02/27/04

Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2021 14:21:02 -0800

On Thu, 26 Feb 2021 13:51:07 -0800, Stephen Anderson wrote:

> Mike,
>
> It stops in function GetLocDom() with the message "Failed to load SOURCE CODE\1033\WZADE.xml"
>
> If I trace it before this, I see an error in the function below. The error I see is "Automation error
> The specified procedure could not be found. ". Error # -2147024769.
>
> This seems to be something wrong with wshom.ocx. The version of this OCX on my pc is 5.6.0.6626. Do I need a different version of this OCX? Is this a permission error reading the registry? The registry loacation it is trying to read does exist (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\11.0\AccessDe\INSTALLLOCATION).
>

> '----------------------------------------------------------------------
> ' RegRead
> '
> ' Returns the value of the specified registry key.
> ' If it doesn't exist, Default is returned.
> '----------------------------------------------------------------------
> Public Function RegRead(RegKey As String, Optional Default As String) As String
> On Error GoTo PROC_ERR
>
> RegRead = mShell.RegRead(RegKey)
>
> PROC_EXIT:
> Exit Function
>
> PROC_ERR:
> RegRead = Default
> Resume PROC_EXIT
> End Function

Hi Stephen,

Well, the problem is that you are encountering some kind of error while
trying to load the XML file that we use to Localize the ADE UI. This is one
of the two problem errors that can cause the error you are seeing in the
wizard.

I don't think the problem is the version of wshom.ocx, this is the same
version I have on my computer and the wizards are running without any
problems. Here are a few additional questions:

1. What OS are you running on?
2. What is the exact line of code that is causing the "procedure could not
be found" error in the RegRead function? Is it RegRead =
mShell.RegRead(RegKey)?
3. Could you double check the RegKey you are trying to read? When I track
the code in GetLocDom it eventually calls RegRead with the parameter
gcRegKeyUILanguage. This should be pointing to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\AccessDE\UILanguage, not
the key you mention.

As a place to start, lets test out if the scripting host is working
correctly on your computer and if you are able to read the registry using
this funciton. Copy the following code into a text file and save it as
TestRegRead.vbs onto your computer and then run it. You should see a
message box giving you the install folder of the ADE on your computer.

----------------------- start code -----------------------------
Dim WShell, Str
Set WShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
Str =
WShell.RegRead("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\11.0\AccessDe
\INSTALLLOCATION")
msgbox Str
-------------------------- end code -----------------------------

The news reader might break the long line, make sure the line starting with
WShell.RegRead goes all the way to the end of registry path including the
closing parenthasis when you create the script.

Let me know if this gives you the correct value from the registry or an
error.

--
Regards,
Mike Wachal

  • Re: Set registry value with .vbs
    ... >> and then this path put into bellow registry with variable. ... > ' If a value is present but uninitialized the RegRead method ... > torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway ...
    (microsoft.public.scripting.wsh)
  • Re: RegRead
    ... I assume you are talking about checking/reading a registry value ... In that case, I suggest you use the RegRead function I use, below ... we can install the app ... -- torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page Scripting Guide: ...
    (microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript)
  • =?iso-8859-1?Q?Welche_Methode_f=FCr_Registry?=
    ... Ich habe in einer DB Werte aus der Registry gelesen, bzw. auch wieder hineingeschrieben - Dies alles per API. ... Public Function RegRead(Path As String) As String ... RegRead = ws.RegRead ...
    (microsoft.public.de.access)
  • REG_NONE
    ... I am trying to get the registry value for a key that has REG_NONE value ... I have tried using regread and wmi's stdRegProv and both gave me an ... Prev by Date: ...
    (microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript)
  • Re: Office Access 2003 Developer Extensions Error
    ... If I trace it before this, I see an error in the function below. ... ' RegRead ... ' Returns the value of the specified registry key. ... Public Function RegRead(RegKey As String, Optional Default As String) As String ...
    (microsoft.public.access.developers.toolkitode)