Re: Deploy unsecured app; what if client has secured app?

From: Rick Brandt (rickbrandt2_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 02/27/04

    Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2021 08:04:06 -0600

    "kiln" <kiln@brick-like.com> wrote in message
    news:MPG.1aa8eb3569a1a1c7989844@msnews.microsoft.com...
    > I will be deploying an "unsecured" Access 2002 application in runtime
    > format to a group that contains about 20 folks, most of whom I will
    > never meet. By unsecured I mean it will run with the standard
    > system.mdw, and the out of the box wide open admin privledges.
    >
    > It just occured to me that someone out there may have an app that uses a
    > secured system.mdw that has been set as the default workgroup file. IE a
    > user may not be using a shortcut switch to temp plug the user into the
    > secured mdw, but rather use the secured mdw "all the time". This
    > wouldn't be standard practice but I can imagine such a situtation.
    >
    > So the question is, what can I do about it other than include a warning
    > in the documentation? I don't think I can run any code to check for this
    > because Access will never get going... they will be able to log in but
    > in the secured mdw all permissions for the plain Admin user will have
    > been revoked. Or am I missing something?

    An unsecured app can be opened with _any_ MDW file so this is a
    non-problem. What your missing is that the MDW does not control what
    permissions the "Admin" user has. That is stored in the individual MDB/E
    files that are opened. The MDW is just about who you are and what groups
    you are members of. Your app gives full permissions to anyone in the
    global user group called "Users". Anyone who logs into Access with _any_
    MDW file will be a member of Users and as such will be able to use your
    app.

    --
    I don't check the Email account attached
    to this message.     Send instead to...