Re: Firewall issues with DAP?? - correction

From: Sylvain Lafontaine ("Sylvain)
Date: 03/10/05

    Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2021 10:39:54 -0500

    For all I remember, RDS use a virtual repertory on IIS, which also means that it will use the port 80 by default (unless another has been configured). See http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/fq99-025.mspx for example.

    But some Firewalls/Proxys/Cache Services doesn't feel happy to just block or unblock ports and will put additional constraints on the requests (for example, the maximum length of a POST) or add or modify the HTTP headers (a frequent problem with cache services). This may be your case, specially if your client is on a military site.

    However, the simple fact that this client is on a military site should require the use of a secured channel such as your secure tunnel or SSL.

    S. L.
      "patrickg" <pat@patmail.com> wrote in message news:YwYXd.162993$JF2.143972@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
      Of course I turned off all restrictions on the browser (enabled everything).

      Since my last messg, I've created a secure tunnel using OpenSSH (server) and PuTTY (client) to get through the firewall on port 80. I then configured IE to use PuTTY as a SOCKS proxy.

      This resolved the problem, and verified that it was definately a firewall issue. Since the client site is on a military base, getting them to make any firewall changes just ain't gonna happen, so I'll explore other options for longterm solution (ie SSL). I just wanted to follow up so if anyone else came across this problem they'd have an idea of how to get around it.

      If anyone has an ideas of how the connection is being blocked (DAP creating other connections to db that are blocked at firewall? ASP controls being blocked at firewall?), feel free to chime in.

      Thanks for your suggestion, Sylvain.

        "Sylvain Lafontaine" <sylvain aei ca (fill the blanks, no spam please)> wrote in message news:O96Pbg$IFHA.2744@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
        Maybe a level security problem from IE. The restrictions at your client site must have been set at their highest level.

        S. L.
          "patrickg" <pat@patmail.com> wrote in message news:mNiXd.108804$pc5.80573@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
          Sorry - I was trying to remember the error from the previous week when I was at customer's site.
          Error message is "MSODSC is undefined" and points to the following piece of code (which is in all the DAPs):

          function validateOWC() {
           if (MSODSC.object==null) {
            strMsgGetOWC="<TABLE width='95%' cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 border=0 height='8'>"
            strMsgGetOWC+="<TR><TD bgColor='#336699' height=25 width=15> </TD><TD bgColor='#666666' width=500px>"
            strMsgGetOWC+="<FONT face=Tahoma color=white size=4><B>  "
            strMsgGetOWC+="Data Access Page Notification</B></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor='#cccccc' width=15> </TD>"
            strMsgGetOWC+="<TD bgColor='#cccccc' width='500px'><BR>"
            strMsgGetOWC+="</font></p><BR></TD></TR></TABLE>"
            document.write(strMsgGetOWC)
           }

          I don't get the error about 'This page requires OWC...', just the warning icon in the lower left corner of IE.

          Any ideas of what could be causing this?

          Thanks!