Re: Converting database from Access 97 to 2003: problems

From: PatrickO (patricko_at_wanadoo.nl)
Date: 05/19/04

    Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 22:30:19 +0200

    To all of you who might be interested,

    After days of searching the internet, reading newsgroups and whitepapers and
    testing i completed the conversion of the secured Access 97 database into an
    Access 2003 format.

    Although the owner of the database had all the rights the conversion was not
    successfull.

    I solved this problem by changing the rights of the Admin user:
    - placed the Admin user in the Admins group (Admins group has Administrator
    Permissions for all objects)
    - set Administrator Permissions for the user Admin on all objects (this one
    might not be nessecary because the Admin is placed in the Admins group)
    - cleared the Admin password (needed for creating a new database with the
    Admin as new owner)
    - set the New Owner to be the Admin for all objects in the window User and
    Group Permissions (might not be nessecary too)

    I closed Access 97 and opened Access 97 again.
    I then created a new database. Then the Admin user is the current owner.
    Then imported all the objects. Then closed Access 97.

    I opened Access 2003 with the default system.mdw file (not the secured mdw
    file used with Access 97).
    I then converted the new Access 97 database with the imported objects in it
    succesfully.

    I hope this help others with a similar problem.

    Greetings Patrick