Re: The database is in an unexpected state; Microsoft Access can't open it.

From: GVaught (glvaughtRemoveThis_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 05/19/04

Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 14:07:33 -0600

Several possibilities:

If the database was open at the time of the update to XP Pro and the main
database resides on that machine or a machine that had the database open and
you rebooted the machine after the update, then this message is most likely
from that action.

One of the other users tried something and stopped the action to put the
database in this state. I am always leery when the users claim they didn't
do anything. One possibility is they had the database open and their machine
was shutdown incorrectly and not shutting down the database first. Trust,
but verify; as Ronald Reagan always said.

Last, but not least. Neither of the above was the culprit and actions on
your database were running under normal operations and some rogue code
within the database decided to fail.

"Gary A. Hollenbeck" <gary@cabinetdoors.com> wrote in message
> This morning I encountered an unusual and scary problem.
> While trying to open one of our databases I recieved this error.
>
> The database is in an unexpected state; Microsoft Access can't open it.
> This database has been converted from a prior version of Microsoft Access
by
> using the DAO CompactDatabase method instead of the Convert Database
command
> on the Tools menu (Database Utilities submenu). This has left the
database
> in a partially converted state.
> If you have a copy of the database in its original format, use the Convert
> Database command on the Tools menu (Database Utilities submenu) to convert
> it. If the the original database is no longer available, create a new
> database and import your tables and queries to perserve your data. Your
> other database objects can't be recovered.
>
> I have checked with other users. No one tried do anything out of the
> ordinary this morning. I did however update my system with the latest
> Windows XP Professional update. I don't think that has anything to do
with
> it??
>
> I have tried compact/repair, linking and importing to a new database,
> nothing works. Does anybody have any ideas how I might recover this
> database. No backup of course. I know, not very smart. Any help would
be
> very much appreciated.
> Gary A. Hollenbeck
> Production Manager
> The Door Stop

Relevant Pages

  • Re: RMAN help
    ... Database mounted. ... RMAN> recover database; ... allocated channel: ORA_DISK_1 ... Starting restore at 11-MAY-06 ...
    (comp.databases.oracle.server)
  • Re: event id 474: inconsistent ntds.dit
    ... If you have a recent backup I recommend you to perform restore ... can try to repair the Database, In some situation, certain ... How to Recover the Database and if it fails try How to Repair the ... Open a command prompt and run NTDSUTIL to verify the paths for the ...
  • Re: Recovering Deleted Tables
    ... There are only four ways to recover a deleted table without incurring ... this method is useless as soon as the database is closed or ... Restore from backup. ... I felt this to be a little steep. ...
  • Re: NTDS ISAM DataBase Corruption
    ... You may try the following steps to recover the corrupted Active ... Active Directory database is unavailable because it is damaged, ... Open a command prompt and run NTDSUTIL to verify the paths for the ...
  • Re: DCPromo and NTDS.DIT
    ... - You may try the following steps to recover the corrupted Active Directory, ... Active Directory database is unavailable because it is damaged, ... Open a command prompt and run NTDSUTIL to verify the paths for the ...