Re: Converting Application from ADP to ACCDB

It would be nice if someone had answers to some basic questions about using
SQL Server with .accdb/.mdb like:
- How do you easily get server-side processed data sets into controls like
listboxes & comboboxes.
- How do you easily get updatable, dynamic, scrollable server-side processed
data sets into forms & subforms.
There are other ways of doing the rest - maybe not as convenient - but still
doable.
If we could do these things, then we would have the sweetest development
platform since VS 6.0!

SimeonD wrote:
I was using MDB for years, and about 3 years ago I got a new job. The new
job involves nearly all ADP work.
I've bought loads of books to find 'best practice' for using ADP and SQL
Server, but not one had everything I wanted.
I think the best was "Microsoft Access Developers Guide to SQL Server"
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Microsoft-Access-Developers-Guide-to-SQL-Server/Andy-Baron/e/9780672319440

But its a bit out of date by now, has no reference to Access 2007. Any
Access 2007 book I've seen so far haven't been great.
I wish someone would write a decent one. Or let me know of a good book!

With regards to local tables, I personally would like them in Access.
Since the future of ADP is a bit uncertain, I've often considered switching
formats.
Planning to upgrade to SQL Server 2008 this year. I won't be able to change
the design of any SQL objects from within ADP, which means that ADP loses
one of its main advantages.
Is there any reason not to use ACCDB?

Know of any good reference material I can lay my hands on that covers
these
[quoted text clipped - 46 lines]

Any suggestions re whether this can be done, and if so, how?

  • Re: From .mdb to .adp database
    ... there is no exact equivalent query object in SQL Server to MDB's query. ... Most likely, the wizard converts MDB queries to Viwes or SP, if the queries are convertiable. ... Also, when you decide to use MDB front-end, you can choose use MDB queries in the front end or use SQL Server side query objects. ... SQL Server is very powerful server software, whether you use MDB, ADP or anything else to access data from it, you MUST learn how to use it and almost for sure you need to learn another programming environment. ...
    (microsoft.public.access.adp.sqlserver)
  • Re: From .mdb to .adp database
    ... I decided to go on with adp project, and i have created a store ... But queries are different stories. ... In SQL Server, there are Views, Stored Procedures, UDFs. ... Also, when you decide to use MDB front-end, you can choose use MDB ...
    (microsoft.public.access.adp.sqlserver)
  • Re: Upsizing design considerations
    ... reports, with a ADP, or mdb (actually, it should be mde, or a ADE when you ... you would LINK the tables to sql server, and NOT USE a adp (the reasons is ... the first two remote users ...
  • Re: From .mdb to .adp database
    ... there is no exact equivalent query object in SQL Server to MDB's query. ... Most likely, the wizard converts MDB queries to Viwes or SP, if the queries are convertiable. ... Also, when you decide to use MDB front-end, you can choose use MDB queries in the front end or use SQL Server side query objects. ... SQL Server is very powerful server software, whether you use MDB, ADP or anything else to access data from it, you MUST learn how to use it and almost for sure you need to learn another programming environment. ...
    (microsoft.public.access.adp.sqlserver)
  • Re: Official Status of SQLServer 2005 ADP
    ... solution might be to use ADP. ... With MDB and Linked tables, the only ways of accelerating things are the use ... of Views and the cumbersome use of SQL passthrough queries. ... > SQL Server, and carry on using Access like I aways had. ...
    (microsoft.public.access.adp.sqlserver)