Re: Converting Application from ADP to ACCDB

Thanks for the light up on the fact that you can bind a form to an ADODB
recordset and still have it updatable. I keep forgetting it every few
months. Did you guy had the time to check the same with subforms and
subreports?

As for your use of local tables, it's hard to give you any advice or opinion
on that matter without knowing what you want to do with those local tables.
BTW, you can also have local tables with an ADP project, all you have to do
is to have a local ACCDB database file and access it with ADO.

An even better idea would probably be to have a local installation of
SQL-Server Express and use it not only for the storage of local tables but
also as the main portal to the data by implementing a synchronisation
process with it and the central server (or a cloud storage).

--
Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
MVP - Windows Live Platform

"Mark_David_Edwards" <u52630@uwe> wrote in message news:97b6ac4304188@xxxxxx
A group of developers I'm working with just had a good, indepth discussion
on
wether to use a .adp or a .accdb for SQL Server development. Our
requirements were:

Server-side processing instead of client side.
Bound, updatable forms.
Would like to have local tables, if possible (VERY usefull).

We decided to go with the .accdb after one member showed us how to create
and
open an ADODB recordset (dynamic and updatable) in a .accdb file and set
the
form's recordset property to the ADODB recordset. IT WORKED! Together
with
either native or ActiveX listboxes/listviews/comboboxes, we were able to
accomplish our requirements. Looks and works like a regular .accdb file
the user - but we have both server-side processing AND local tables!! Wooo
Whooo!

This has greatly reduced my need and desire to use .adp files when using
Access front-end with SQL Server back-end.

I would like to hear other methods of accomplishing the same goals.

p.s. I see a lot of hullabaloo about specific, nitpicky technologies that
are just 6-of-1 compared to a half-dozen-of-another, without any serious
differences in core issues. Took me awhile to cut thru all the "stuff".

Sylvain Lafontaine wrote:
Using unbound forms is not so bad. Your biggest problem here is not with
the forms but with reports: you cannot have subreport linked to a
passtrough
query when using an ACCDB database file. The only way to connect a
subreport
to a stored procedure that I know of is with ADP. Of course, you can try
solve this without using ADP by putting all the data you need in the query
source (the stored procedure) of the main report and adapt the design of
your report or to use temporary tables (either locally or on the server)
but
at this point, we are far from the "simplicity" of using an ACCDB database
file against SQL-Server.

As for the future of ADP, I don't think that they are going away per see
or
in the near future. I would very surprised if they were to drop the
functionality of ADP without integrating it first into the JET
engine/ACCDB
database file format.

Thanks for your response, Sylvain.

[quoted text clipped - 54 lines]

Any suggestions re whether this can be done, and if so, how?

  • Re: Converting Application from ADP to ACCDB
    ... wether to use a .adp or a .accdb for SQL Server development. ... This has greatly reduced my need and desire to use .adp files when using ... Access front-end with SQL Server back-end. ...
    (microsoft.public.access.adp.sqlserver)
  • Re: Converting Application from ADP to ACCDB
    ... want to do--work as much as possible in an ACCDB as I currently do in an ADP. ... With ADO, you can create an ADO recordset from a SP, disconnect it and then ...
    (microsoft.public.access.adp.sqlserver)
  • Re: It just dont work: Insert last ID into related table (trigger)
    ... Yes if you are using your own SP or making your own recordset but no if you ... are using a bound form with ADP as ADP will look for @@identity. ... there is a problem with using a trigger if the second ...
    (microsoft.public.access.adp.sqlserver)
  • Re: The stored procedure executed successfully but did not return any records
    ... > with the .NextRecordset method of the Recordset object. ... When I run this through Query Analyzer this ... >> to generate a single rowset, however when I run in through the .ADP it ...
    (microsoft.public.access.adp.sqlserver)
  • Re: Converting Application from ADP to ACCDB
    ... to a stored procedure that I know of is with ADP. ... I hadn't considered using a disconnected ADO recordset and trying to bind ... with using an ACCDB database file instead of an ADP project. ...
    (microsoft.public.access.adp.sqlserver)