Re: Converting Application from ADP to ACCDB

Using unbound forms is not so bad. Your biggest problem here is not with
the forms but with reports: you cannot have subreport linked to a passtrough
query when using an ACCDB database file. The only way to connect a subreport
to a stored procedure that I know of is with ADP. Of course, you can try to
solve this without using ADP by putting all the data you need in the query
source (the stored procedure) of the main report and adapt the design of
your report or to use temporary tables (either locally or on the server) but
at this point, we are far from the "simplicity" of using an ACCDB database
file against SQL-Server.

As for the future of ADP, I don't think that they are going away per see or
in the near future. I would very surprised if they were to drop the
functionality of ADP without integrating it first into the JET engine/ACCDB
database file format.

--
Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
MVP - Windows Live Platform

"PGallez" <PGallez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Thanks for your response, Sylvain.

You hit the nail on the head in your first paragraph, that's exactly what
want to do--work as much as possible in an ACCDB as I currently do in an
ADP.
I'm concerned that ADP's may be going away and am looking at my options if
they do. There are some nice design-time features that are available in
ACCDB's as well that it might be nice to use, assuming the underlying data
access works OK.

I hadn't considered using a disconnected ADO recordset and trying to bind
that--I'll take a look and see if it makes sense. But after a couple more
days investigating this it's looking like I'll just have to give up bound
forms outside of ADP file.

"Sylvain Lafontaine" wrote:

What you are describing is to work the same way as with an ADP project
but
with using an ACCDB database file instead of an ADP project. If it was
possible to use an ACCDB database file against an SQL-Server in exactly
the
same way as with an ADP project, I don't know what would be the
usefulness
of ADP in this (hypothetical) context.

With ADO, you can create an ADO recordset from a SP, disconnect it and
then
connect it to a form but I don't remember if this form will be updatable
or
if it will be read-only. You can try it, you'll see the answer by
yourself.

--
Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
MVP - Windows Live Platform
Email: sylvain2009 sylvainlafontaine com (fill the blanks, no spam
please)
(French)

"PGallez" <PGallez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Although I'd rather stick with the ADP format when writing applications
that
use Access as a front-end to SQL Server, just to be safe I'm trying to
work
out how to talk to SQL Server from an Access 2007 ACCDB file. My
question
is,
can all of the following requirements be met simultaneously (especially
using
bound forms and an updateable recordset)?

1) Access ACCDB talking to SQL Server 2005.
2) Either ADO or DAO, but preferably ADO.
3) Bound forms (but NOT directly to a linked table or view, instead to
an
ADO or DAO recordset based on parameterized stored procedures).
4) The recordset is updateable.

I can do all of the above using pass-through queries, except a PTQ
isn't
updateable. I'd rather not move to an unbound form model because of the
substantial increase in coding required. Likewise for doing the
development
in Visual Studio.

Any suggestions re whether this can be done, and if so, how?

  • Re: Converting Application from ADP to ACCDB
    ... with using an ACCDB database file instead of an ADP project. ... With ADO, you can create an ADO recordset from a SP, disconnect it and then ...
    (microsoft.public.access.adp.sqlserver)
  • Re: Converting Application from ADP to ACCDB
    ... want to do--work as much as possible in an ACCDB as I currently do in an ADP. ... With ADO, you can create an ADO recordset from a SP, disconnect it and then ...
    (microsoft.public.access.adp.sqlserver)
  • Re: Output stored procdure in datasheet-view without using a form
    ... I will assume you are using an Access ADP. ... If you are not using an ADP but an mdb, then you use ADO to generate a ... Write that recordset to a table and base a form on that ...
    (comp.databases.ms-access)
  • So....Forms Recordset to ADO?
    ... So...how do I initially set my form's recordset to be ADO ... instead of DAO? ... If the only way is through ADP then what is the difference ...
    (microsoft.public.access.formscoding)
  • Re: Converting Application from ADP to ACCDB
    ... recordset and still have it updatable. ... BTW, you can also have local tables with an ADP project, all you have to do ... is to have a local ACCDB database file and access it with ADO. ... process with it and the central server. ...
    (microsoft.public.access.adp.sqlserver)