Re: Future of ADP's

Hi Armando,

The sidelining of ADP's is disappointing, but against that everything else
has been seriously upgraded. MS has made it very clear that it is fully
committed to Access and has made a huge investment in Access 2007.

ODBC linked tables can perform as well as ADP's, but it takes some care.
The flexibility of Access/Jet is such that it is possible to create queries
which exceed the capabilities of ODBC and/or the server, in which case the
queries will run on the client. This can be a performance problem on a LAN,
and this will obviously be greatly magnified on a WAN. The solutions are
not difficult: modify the design, use a passthrough query, build a
server-side view and link to it, and so on.

If I were happy for a given ADP application to be split across a WAN then I
would be happy to build an equivalent linked-tables application in the same
environment.

"Armando Vargas" <trabajo_slp@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Thanks!

I agree with that. Access may not disapper, but, I feel that is been
downgraded, I use ADPs because, the links with SQL, but I havent tryed
the
linking tables with MDB and a SQL. Maybe it would work real fine.

I stop using linking tables, because I develop some applications that
conect
throuth the internet, (ADP and SQL) thing that could not be done by a MDB.
(Link tables) I wonder if linking tables in Access2007 and SQL will
work
fine, and give the same performance that ADP gave in the past.

All your comments are welcomed.

Thanks,

Armando Vargas.

"Baz" <bazz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> escribió en el mensaje
215$fa0fcedb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx">news:46aee120$0$15215$fa0fcedb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Why on earth would you think that your work is about to end? Microsoft
itself has just made a huge commitment to Access with all the new stuff
in
Access 2007, it isn't going to disappear anytime soon. As far as I can
see
the only aspect of Access which is seriously under threat is ADP's.
That
isn't any kind of show-stopper for new applications with server database
engines, though: I have very happily worked with linked tables in the
past
and I will continue to do so in future. The main issue is that those of
us
who have already built ADP solutions are probably going to have to
convert
them to linked tables at some time in the future.

"Armando Vargas" <trabajo_slp@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Ok, this is one topic, that really is important for us, Ms Access
"Developers", that really started in Access and continued with Access
because it is real easy and quick to develop a solution, and enable us
make a living deploying solutions to small to medium business.

I think that many of us are worried not about ADPs but how are we going
continue to work, or if there is a future for us in the IT world.

Maybe that most of us are self learing and will take a lot of time to
lear
something new and if it going to be time-cost effective as Access is.

Please, write your suggestion that we should lear, or start to use
like:

Ms Access ADPs and SQL Server 2005 Express

SQL Server 2005 Express and ASP.Net, or see some web applications.

All your help and commerts are really important for all of us that fell
our
work is about to end.

Thanks for your time and support.

Armando Vargas.

"Reese Watt" <reese@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> escribió en el mensaje
Here's a brief summary of my career:

I started out as an actuary using Excel spreadsheets.
I realized Excel wasn't a database, so I learned Access and VBA
I learned Access had limits, so I learned SQL-Server and ADP
projects.
I became a developer and developed a really nice application using
SQL-Server/ADP that is helping lots of people be much more efficient.
Now, we're consider marketing this application to other firms and I
want
to be sure I have a platform that will be good for the long-term
investment of future clients.

From what I'm reading, I feel like a cartoon character with my left
foot
in one car and my right foot in another and straight ahead is a fork
in
the road. The left fork is the VB.Net/SQL-Server road. The right
fork
is
the Access/ACCDB road. I want to continue to use Access for the
front
end
and SQL Server for the back end, but it may not be possible.

Here are my questions:

1) Is my perception correct, that Microsoft really doesn't have an
all-in-one application to design front-ends to SQL Server, other than
the
ADP route? I know there is VB.Net, but even there you need Crystal
Reports to design your reports.

2) Are there things that I do in Access reports that can't be done in
Crystal Reports?

3) Is VB.Net really as slow to develop as it seems to me? I taught
myself
Access, VBA and SQL-Server, so I have a fairly good idea of the pain
that
is required to learn a new technology. I've also done a few projects
using VB.Net. It just doesn't seem like VB.Net is nearly as easy to
use.
Here are a few examples:
There is no AfterUpdate event, nor a host of other easy-to-use
events.
It seems like combo boxes are much more complicated.
Datasheet forms (datagrid) are much more difficult to work with.

In other words, if I bite the bullet and take six months to really
learn VB.Net, will I even then be able to develop applications as
fast
can in Access right now?

5) Are there any third-party interfaces that make VB.Net more of a
RAD
environment?

6) Is there any way for me to get in contact with a knowledgable
person
at
Microsoft to a) express my support for ADP's and b) get a better
idea
of
what the future may hold?

Thanks to all

  • Re: Future of ADPs
    ... SQL Server 2005 Express and ASP.Net, ... so I learned SQL-Server and ADP projects. ... that Microsoft really doesn't have an ... Reports to design your reports. ...
    (microsoft.public.access.adp.sqlserver)
  • Re: Future of ADPs
    ... If I were happy for a given ADP application to be split across a WAN then ... SQL Server 2005 Express and ASP.Net, or see some web applications. ... Reports to design your reports. ...
    (microsoft.public.access.adp.sqlserver)
  • Re: Timeout Expired but worked 3 months ago
    ... keeping the ADP from seeing the SQL Server. ... There are three timeouts in ADP; the first two are located in the advanced ... General Timeout ». ... creating your own recordsets as the source of your reports. ...
    (microsoft.public.access.adp.sqlserver)
  • A little OT - Quite a rant on microsoft.public.sqlserver.olap
    ... SQL authentication doesn't work for SQL Server to anywhere. ... reports in ADP; but somehow it's not getting traction. ... thru in order to create forms and reports against a database. ...
    (microsoft.public.access.modulesdaovba)
  • Re: From .mdb to .adp database
    ... I decided to go on with adp project, and i have created a store ... But queries are different stories. ... In SQL Server, there are Views, Stored Procedures, UDFs. ... Also, when you decide to use MDB front-end, you can choose use MDB ...
    (microsoft.public.access.adp.sqlserver)