Re: Pros and Cons of SQL v/s MDB

From: Ron Hinds (__NoSpam_at___NoSpamramac.com)
Date: 05/14/04

    Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 16:35:13 -0700

    Just wanted to add a caveat to Steve's post: MSDE is *not* a good solution
    for 20-30 users. The reason being, after 5 connections to a MSDE database
    have been made, the "engine" starts to "throttle back" by introducing
    delays. The delays increase as more connections are made to the server. So
    you would have to go to Standard Edition (i.e., more $).

    "Steve Jorgensen" <nospam@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    > With 20 to 30 users at its peak, Access with a shared JET back-end is not
    > really ideal, but it can certainly work, and I'm working at an environment
    > that can have over 100 users on the same back-end. They are certainly
    having
    > some problems at this level, and more than you are having at 20-30, but
    not
    > crippling.
    >
    > The first thing I would do in your situation, is just make sure your
    back-up
    > system is solid. If users are doing frequent updates to back-end data, I
    > would run a backup system capable of doing open file backups, and run that
    > several times per day. This handles your biggest concern which is that
    the
    > Access back-end is vulnerable to all kinds of potential corruption
    including
    > pruposeful, malicious damage. If you always have a recent backup, you
    can't
    > lose much data.
    >
    > The next problem you need to work on is down-time. If the system does
    start
    > developing chronic instability, which can happen, you'll have to keep
    > e-mailing to get everyone out of the sytem, wait for everyone to get out,
    then
    > try to do a repair and compact while people who didn't get the message are
    > still trying to get -in- to the system.
    >
    > For that problem, a SQL Server back-end can be a good option. MSDE might
    be
    > OK for 20-30 users depending on what kind of load is involved. More
    likely,
    > you'd end up with the Standard Edition server. If you do go this route,
    > you'll almost certainly have to make some changes to the front-end.
    You'll