Re: Senior Developer looking for your asst in employmt issue (not job seeking!)

From: Al Manint (al_manint_at_no.yahoo.com.spam)
Date: 05/06/04

Date: Thu, 6 May 2021 12:57:58 -0500

Well,

It sounds like you gave it the ole college try and without seeing the Access
database, I really can't answer your questions.

I do have a question however. A person your position must also run as the
project manager. Did you set the expectations? I think you were over
enthusiatic and didn't take the opportunity to really scope out the effort
to determine if it shoudl have taken 5 weeks. Also, it appears that you
were not truely familiar with what ASP.NET (Web applications in general) are
set up for and how they do what they do. This lead you down a few blind
alleys and ate time. I'm not saying you are incompetent because I've done
this many times myself early in my career. If you are wearing a project
manager hat, you must manage expectations.

I wish you luck. Wish I could see the actual database to answer your
questions and see a functionality sheet on what you needed to deliver based
on that database. Then I can make a real judgement as to whether you are
"compentent". I do think that your manager probably needs a reality check
though.

Al Manint, MCSD (VB5, VB6), MCSD.NET (C#), MCDBA

"Xavier Jefferson" <suggestion@x2sw.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> design to lower the learning curve. The existing design consisted of one
> form with a tab control containing several tab pages (maybe 8) and those
> pages containing maybe 15 controls each, all data bound to ODBC linked
> tables (this was not an Access ADP project) and a gaggle of slow-running
> local queries. My liason for usability testing was a novice user in
another
> department who still, at this point, had a lot of trouble understanding
> things like data relationships.
>
> I made assurances to my supervisor to meet the deadline, sink or swim. I
> set to meet my deadline by developing an ASP.NET object class to mirror
> Access data binding. I developed ASP.NET containers and controls with the
> same properties and functions as the Access object model. Subforms!!!
> Figured out ways to make data binding and error reporting work with so
many
> controls and subforms in an ASP.NET page all at once.
>
> I didn't make the deadline, despite working plenty of unpaid overtime. I
> hadn't had much time to understand how the current application was used -
> basically, the users were used to having eight full tabs of data available
> to them at all times without any refreshing, and I couldn't incorporate
this
> into a web interface without lots of changes. About three weeks later, I
> ended up just stabilizing the Access application (after all that) and it's
> been purring ever since.
>
> My questions, if you please:
>
> 1) Could this have been accomplished using any Microsoft development
> platform in just five weeks, without me having any familiarity with the
user
> base, the data relationships on the back end, the idiosyncracies of the
> front end; also short of testing, training, and user acceptance?
>
> 2) My supervisor's experience is in network technologies and not
> development. He's a director, but has limited management training and no
> exposure to the "developer community." What is the likelihood that he
could
> really understand the ramifications of converting (porting) a
client-server
> application?
>
> 3) My supervisor has offered that he could have re-built the entire
> application -by himself - in Filemaker Pro over the course of a weekend.
> Based on what you've read, what would be the likelihood of such, even for
an
> experienced developer?
>
> 4) Did I act in good faith, or would you say that I am incompetent?
>
> If you choose to give your frank response, please share a name and
telephone
> number if that's okay. I just want to make sure that management knows
that
> there are real people connected to my evidence.
>
> Thanks and best wishes. My hearing's on May 13, 2004.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Senior Developer looking for your asst in employmt issue (not job seeking!)
    ... manager hat, you must manage expectations. ... Wish I could see the actual database to answer your ... > I am dealing with a tough employment issue in which a supervisor - who is ... > I've been working professionally as a developer since 1993. ...
  • Re: Senior Developer looking for your asst in employmt issue (not job seeking!)
    ... manager hat, you must manage expectations. ... Wish I could see the actual database to answer your ... > I am dealing with a tough employment issue in which a supervisor - who is ... > I've been working professionally as a developer since 1993. ...
    (microsoft.public.vb.database)
  • Re: SQL 2005 Tools
    ... I have tried my best to warn the manager who authorized this sort of work. ... and I need to know how to use this thing to connect to the database remotely. ... I have already forwarded TCP port 1433 and UDP port 1434 to the SQL server ... a clumsy or inept developer (or ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.connect)
  • Re: Senior Developer looking for your asst in employmt issue (not job seeking!)
    ... The trap I believe you fell into was when the manager, ... After all, *you* are the professional developer, the one ... > I am dealing with a tough employment issue in which a supervisor - who is ... > I made assurances to my supervisor to meet the deadline, ...